x. ɢʀᴀᴄɪᴇ

Beginne am Anfang

"You can't agree to this?" Ariana questioned solemnly, gripping the back of the kitchen chair closest to her. "You can't possibly think this will be good for any of us? She doesn't even know who you are! She doesn't even acknowledge that her daddy wasn't around for this long. The girl is barely three!"

Murphy stood on the other side of the table to give his ex-girlfriend some space. Though, the more she speaks the louder she becomes. Causing Murphy's head to ache. However, instead of putting her down as he always seemed to do, Murphy crosses his arms over his chest. Wishing none of this had to be the decision, but there is nothing he or Ariana can do.

Rubbing his bottom lip, Murphy lets out a sigh, connecting his gaze with Ariana's.

"Gracie gotta go with da, Ari. This is the only way we can keep her safe. It's not what I want either, but somethin' needs to be done and done fast," Murphy explained.

"Fuck you," Ariana spat.

"For fuck sakes, Ari! This isn't a fuckin' -" Murphy paused to breathe, not wanting to cause a bigger argument. One that did not need to explode in their faces. So, instead of ranting as he always did, Murphy starts around the table. He did not stop until Ariana stood before him. The hurt mother raised her damaged gaze. "She's mine too."

Ariana bit her bottom lip, keeping the tears from falling. Doubts of keeping Grace made their way into Ariana's head. She wished for a better life for them. Every single person inside of the room. That's all she wanted. And to think she birthed Grace into a situation the little girl had no control over. Hell, Ariana barely had control over what happened so many years ago. Her father left behind a long list of mess.

Furthermore, Ariana wished she understood that Murphy is here. Despite her hardships as a single mother, that was her doing. Not Murphy's. Ariana hated this. The mistakes she had made throughout her life. This being the biggest one yet.

With a shaky breath, Ariana opened her mouth, unable to keep the tears from plunging.

"This is all we can do to protect her," Murphy whispered.

"I know," Ariana caves in, "But she's the only thing I have."

Murphy knitted his brows before pulling Ariana into a tight embrace. Allowing her tears to stain his shirt.

***

After a few days, Ariana lay in Gracie's bed curled up in a ball. Grace left behind a teddy bear given to her when she was only an infant. A way to keep mommy safe. It was the most heart-wrenching thing Ariana had to witness. The little girl cried so hard, her face turned purple. And even though Ariana explained Noah to be her grandfather and Pam will be there to comfort her, Grace refused to leave Ariana's side.

No mother wants this.

"Hey," Murphy spoke at the threshold of Grace's pink-painted room. The silent father gave the area a look, memorizing every piece of furniture and toy. Ariana spoiled Grace that was for sure.

Ariana didn't raise her head, she simply hid her face into the bear held in between her arms. Taking in Grace's scent. Just this single act made Ariana's head swell with depression.

"Ari," Murphy cooed, stepping into the room a little more.

Finally, Ariana peeked from behind the bear to see Murphy now knelt beside the bed. His hand touched her forearm and a gentle yet sad smile flash towards her. The pair look upon the other for what seems like hours, trying to comprehend what is truly between them. Ariana felt abandoned. Not only by Murphy but now, by her daughter. She began to question if Grace felt the same. And Murphy, he felt cheated. Now, the time with Grace is no longer an option. Who knows if he will make it through this.

However, with all their flaws, the two still hold a soft spot. A wishful hope of making it and becoming a family after all these years.

"You've been in here since she left," Murphy states, sweeping his thumb across the fabric of her long sleeve. "Why don't ya come with me to get some coffee, yeah?"

"Ask Connor -" Ariana began.

"He's waiting to hear somethin' from those beepers we found from those Russian idiots. Can't pull that hard-headed asshole away for anything. So, you in?"

Ariana lay silent. Gripping her arms tighter around the stuffed animal.

With a sigh, Murphy stood to his feet and without warning swooped Ariana into his arms. As she cursed and attempted to wiggle her way out of his grasp, Murphy threw her onto his shoulder with little to no effort. Flustered, Ariana holds onto the back of his flannel, slapping the back of his dyed blonde hair.

"Let me go!"

Ariana shouts as the man carried her into the living room where Connor and Irene sat. Their heads touching each other as their eyes glared at the four beepers and telephone resting on the coffee table. As Irene snapped her head to see the scene, Connor kept his determined attention on his task.

"What are you doing?!" Irene shouts.

"Gettin' her out of the house," Murphy slaps Ariana's butt. Only to land himself an elbow to the back of the skull. "Ow!"

"What happened to stay low?!" Irene stood to her feet, crossing her arms. Ariana wasn't the only one who had to let their daughter go. Irene sent Lizzie to stay with her parents until things died down. She understood why Ariana felt the way she did.

"It'll give us a chance to see if we are being followed," Connor hummed, picking up the receiver of the telephone, swearing someone called. "Dammit."

Murphy placed Ariana down. The woman pulled down her shirt and gave Murphy a look of pure misery. Had he been anyone else, she would have stabbed him in the neck, but she came to terms with his efforts quickly.

"Can ye get me a mocha lotta?" Connor says, not looking up.

Murphy and Ariana simply gave Connor a look of annoyance before gathering their things and leaving moments later.

xx