Fourteen: Anabolism

Start from the beginning

Silence. You were thinking he had fucked off again when buzz buzz.

Another fucking message.

:(

You groaned in frustration, grabbing the pillow from beneath your head and flinging yourself out of your cocoon to hurl it at the door full force - just as the lock snapped open with a click, and the door swung open. A surprisingly good hit, whacking the man square in the face on accident. Nice.

The pillow flopped to your bedroom floor lamely. You noticed that the man hardly reacted - he had his mask back on, thick fabric protecting his head. That probably meant he'd left your apartment at least once, to do whatever else his 'job' entailed aside from fucking with you for probably no reason.

He just stood there now, in the doorway. You found the mask both an annoyance and a relief - you hated seeing him as a human being, but being able to gauge whether or not he was angry and gonna shoot your ass was way harder when his face was covered. At least, from the sound of his breathing, he didn't have the voice changer on right now. That thing was the literal worst.

Hoodie seemed to stare you down for a second, you had no clue if he was offended that you had whacked him with a pillow. He didn't seem like the type to be that fragile, but then again he had snapped at you a few times already for reasons unbeknownst to you. He didn't lunge at you though, or reach for his gun. He merely made his merry way over to the window, reaching over your desk to thrust the curtains open. The light was assaulting to your poor (e/c) eyes. Rude.

There was a notebook on your desk, left open and untouched from the last time you had actually studied - sometime early last week, you assumed. He picked it up in one of his gloved hands, grabbing the textbook that lay next to it, also discarded. Then, he strode over to where you sat. Instinct had you scrambling madly away from him within your swathing of bedclothes, until your head hit the wall with a dull thud. You suppressed a pained grunt.

​​​​​​​You could now only imagine the way he was raising an amused eyebrow at you from behind the mask. He stopped just short of the bed, lazily chucking the books at your feet without a word. Then, he turned on his heel and went to lean ominously against your desk, mask tilted spine-chillingly in your direction.

You glanced down at the items on your bed, grimacing. "Leave me alone."

You glanced back up at the man. He reached a hand up beneath his hood, pressing the button at his jaw, turning the voice changer on just to fuck with you.

"Study."

You shivered. The sound didn't have quite the same effect now that you knew what his real voice sounded like underneath the robotic alteration, but that didn't mean it wasn't still some real unsettling shit. Didn't exactly bring back fun memories, for you.

You narrowed your eyes at him, knowing he didn't give a single fuck about your grades. He was just being a little shit for the hell of it, you were sure. "What're you gonna do? Shoot me?" The question was spiteful, but still semi-genuine. You could never be sure, with him.

"No."

Oh, so he was just making friendly suggestions now, was he? For fuck's sake.

You tilted your head at the man, glaring. "How many times now have I told you to get out of my room?"

You expected some snarky one word response, 'twice'. Instead, you received a genuine fucking insult.

"Stop being lazy and I will."

​​​​​​​You blinked at the audacity. He really barged his ass in here, knowing full well the reasons why you had shut down, knowing he was the cause, and told you to stop being so lazy? You were ready to slap a bitch, if only you could. But it was suddenly occurring to you just how light headed you felt, the sudden movement of crawling away causing your head to pound. When was the last time you drank water?