Seven: The Illusion of Safety

Start from the beginning

You wailed into the nothingness for what felt like forever, throat dry and lungs screaming for you to stop. You wouldn't, you refused to be complacent.

Then, you felt the car begin to slow to a stop. You didn't stop your cathartic sobs even as you heard the slam of a car door, fear spurring you on. You had probably pissed him off, now. He was probably going to shoot you. The thought of dying here, in the trunk of a musty smelling car, was not a pleasant one. The sound of a key in a lock somewhere by your head. You screamed the loudest you had yet.

Scree-ee-eech

Cool air graced the exposed skin of your face and neck as the trunk was opened. You were only briefly met with the sight of his mask, illuminated by a streetlamp somewhere out of view. At least you were still in civilisation. Before you could register anything about your new surroundings, though, you were being hoisted up into a sitting position by strong hands. Your back was pushed against the trunk, forearm steady along your shoulders to keep you back, while a hand was clamped over your mouth. You were forced to take deep breaths through your nose, lungs finally getting the fresh air they had been begging you for.

Tears fell hopelessly down your face and onto his gloved hand, but the man didn't move his hand away. You didn't know where to look, didn't want to engage in yet another terrifying staring contest with those red eyes. Instead, you clamped your eyelids shut and prayed that this was just a bad dream.

You were expecting to be shot, or at least met with another weighty blow to the side of the head. No such impact came, however. Minutes ticked by in agonising anticipation, everything eerily silent. What was he waiting for?

The adrenaline began to subside. Just as you were working up the courage to open your eyes again, a voice sounded from above you.

"Better?"

You jumped, eyes snapping open against your will. You were of course met with the grating sight of the infernal fucking sad face from whence the demonic voice had come. Your breath hitched in your throat at the combination of terrifying sound and sight, whimpering.

Sensing that you were lapsing back into a panic, the man sighed robotically from behind the mask, shifting his stance so that he was half sitting on the edge of the car. Making himself comfortable. Not patronising at all.

You had another fit of crying, this one weaker than the last. You struggled and thrashed meekly against him, but were only pushed further back into the interior wall behind you.

An eternity passed. When you calmed down once more, you lapsed into a terrified, defeated silence. Though you were more alert now, fully awake, you now wished that you weren't. You felt moments away from giving up, adrenaline stores depleted.

The man had turned his mask away while you were freaking out, but now he very slowly and deliberately turned his hooded head back towards you. He seemed to be giving you notice this time, letting you catch on that he was about to speak. How considerate.

"I am going to move my hand." you still shivered at the sound, "If you scream, I will hurt you."

You could only gaze back at him in terror. Another beat of silence, before he moved. You let out a shaky breath as he removed the hand from your mouth, reaching into the trunk behind you for something. You hoped it wasn't a weapon, though you doubted he'd leave one in here with you. You didn't dare make a sound, whole body tense against the ropes. You had fallen into mental shock.

The sound of something ripping, before his hand was near your head again. In it, a piece of duct tape. You shook your head violently as he leaned towards you - not another freedom taken from you, please.