Scene 1- Comfortable in their own skin

In a world where most girls her age liked men running behind them, this woman was an exception

In a world where most girls her age liked men running behind them, this woman was an exception. Mullai with her friend hurried through the streets in the hot sun just to get a look of admiration from her Jeeva mama. Though he had just shown his disapproval towards her a few hours back, her heart only could form all the possibilities for him to be afraid to show his love for her openly. There was not a tinge of doubt for her about him not loving her. That was how confident she was because she believed that who would not love someone like her unless he was a fool himself.

All that she had in mind waiting in the bus stand was to reach the temple on time no matter in which means she could reach there. She was just hoping for a miracle and praying with all her heart. After being disappointed just now from a person going that way when he refused to drop her, she heard the sound of a bike and next second she sprang in its way not giving a thought about the consequences. The person on the tvs 50 was both a relief and a nightmare to her.

That "Ivan ah" in her mind voice was definitely not an expression of her dislike towards him. If she had said that aloud, Kathir would have definitely taken it as contempt. But all that she could think of was how his hatred towards her family would prevent him from taking her along with him. She knew his reaction towards her would be no less than how her athai reacted to her that morning.

For Kathir, the sight of Mullai could only remind him of her parents betrayal towards his family. One look towards Mullai's friend where she gives him a face of negligence made him believe that that was how Mullai thought of him too. The hate towards him from all the people around her was a proof for him that she hated him too in spite of her casual demeanor with him. The sight of her was the last thing he wanted to have when he was in a hurry to reach the temple.

Her pleas to take her along with him was not enough to urge him against his policy of not even looking at those who don't respect him. What got into his mind is a mystery when he said "Hey... Na unna vida rendu vayasu periyavan... pechula konjam mariyaatha irukatum... pera solli koopudra velai laam vechukaatha". That was a definite breakthrough that he saw her different from others without him even acknowledging it himself. When has Kathir ever demanded respect from someone he didn't like? And calling him by his name does not even come under disrespecting him too and in spite of all the logic, he still wanted to ask her that at the most inappropriate time. It was when he least expected she replied "Seri mama nu koopadava...".

It kind of made him rethink whether that was what he wanted from her and even if he wanted it what difference would it make. And then her "Indha oru thadava help pannu aprom na unna disturb pannave maaten... innime mariyaathai koduthe pesuren..." it did something to his well-maintained ego even though he knew she would never be able to keep up the promise. Nobody could feigh such innocence and especially this particular girl's innocence had the power to melt the hardest of rocks. Kathir couldn't deny to himself that she had no fakeness or ill-intention in all her attitude and that was enough for him to comply with her wish though his mind couldn't stop from mumbling "Imsai panraale".

That beautiful smile which blossomed in her face when he said "Vaa" was so pure and child-like. She sat there behind him expressing her joy loudly about her journey towards her Jeeva mama had somehow taken off. He couldn't stop himself from proclaiming his irritation "ahnahnahn... mama va paaka poraalaam".

The roads were bumpy and he drove like she was invisible to him. She was looking around with happiness through the ride that her wish is actually coming true. A sudden jerk and she held him by his shoulders. Reality hit him and he shouted "Kai ya edu". Though she knew why he hated her this much, she couldn't accept that much ignorance from him completely when they are very close relatives. What had been her mistake in all the fiasco that happened between the families and why was she punished for it? These questions haunted her always whenever someone from PS family looked at her with disgust and loathing.

She asked him the reason though she perfectly knew what he would reply to her. His "Vilagi poga vendiyathu dhaana" did hurt her more than she thought it would. She wanted to tell him her vulnerability in this issue and when she said "Athuku na enna pannuven... Na paavam Kathiru... Nee vena en moonjiya andha kannadila paaren...". He couldn't deny that because her face showed not even a grain of evil. She was as pure as a newborn and no one who knew her would deny that.

How long could she keep her mouth shut? If she doesn't speak her mind, she isn't Mullai at all. When she asked him "Aama... un veetla nee mattum yen ippadi dress panra... un age la oorula irukuravangalaam eppadi tip top ah dress pannitu varaanga... neeyum irukiye...", she was a typical cousin to Kathir. There was no small insult in it, it was out of pure curiosity and concern about why he chose to be so careless when it comes to him. She couldn't understand why anyone would neglect taking care of themselves in spite of all the rude comments people tend to pass on him.

He stopped the vehicle and teased her like every close friend or relative does. He showed his closeness towards her from the very beginning by his choice of words towards her and his behaviour. His "Thona thona nu pesitu vandha ennala laam kooptu poga mudiyaathu..." and her "Kathiru kathiru..." was everything so natural and so beautiful. When she conveyed her fear of being left alone, he replied like he did not care even a bit for her "Adhu un paadu... nee ekkedo kettu po...".

Kathir can never leave her alone and his action telling her to shut her mouth and sit behind him, showed the only issue with her was her non-stop talks, which he is not at all used to, that bothers him. That last "Thank you" towards him before she ran to meet her love was ignored just like he did not even help her by bringing her with him. Being proud of helping her or her family is the last thing that he would love doing after all the things his family went through because of them. It was a mere duty and a responsibility as a human being to help a girl he had known from her birth. But he never knew how many times he showed his closeness towards her through all the hate he tried to shower on her.

But the beauty that attracts everyone who got to experience them is that they were unapologetically themselves to each other. They had never pulled over a mask when they spoke with each other. She had people to impress but she never cared to impress him by putting up an act of not being herself. Whether it's hate or love, it was from the bottom of their hearts.

To be continued...