LIX

KISSES OF FIRE

'Kisses of fire, burning, burning
I'm at the point of no returning
Kisses of fire, sweet devotions
Caught in a landslide of emotions'

The bullets popped into the room as quickly as the people did. Lola, closest to the door, got hit first, falling to the floor as her body was riddled with bullets. Nathalia shied away from the bullets, afraid that she would get hit. DiMaccio pulled Nathan away to safety, though Nathalia wasn't quite sure anyone was safe down in this basement.

Guards rushed down the concrete steps, and Nathalia figured that they were her father's, not the surprise saviours. Nathalia was watching as someone broke free and grabbed Nathaniel, pulling him away from Nathan. Nathaniel said something to the man, who looking in Nathalia's direction and started pulling her brother over to her.

She put her leg out for him and pulled Nathaniel closer to her, then the two were abandoned by the man. Nathalia, despite having her wrists bound, was able to reach into her pocket, where her real knife had been stashed. She pulled it out and handed it to Nathaniel, who was slowly pulling himself up next to her. He took the knife and worked it into the lock of the handcuffs. It was hard to concentrate on anything while bullets were being fired, but Nathaniel managed to get Nathalia's hands free. 

"Thanks," she mumbled, rubbing her raw wrists, and Nathalia knew he'd heard her, even though Nathaniel hadn't said anything as he handed back the knife. They huddled in close together to avoid being shot at, and when the bullets eventually stopped firing, Nathalia slowly pulled away from her brother.

Nathan was kneeling in the middle of the room and had four guns aimed at his head. He tried getting to his feet, but someone knocked him back down with the but of a rifle. One of the men guarding the door whistled down the tunnel and footsteps echoed into the corridor.

A man stepped into the room, and Nathalia had no idea who he was, though it was clear she should have by the way Nathaniel stopped breathing for a moment. "Who is that," she whispered to him. Nathaniel didn't answer, just kept watching the man as he took out his gun and aimed it Nathan's head. Something in Nathalia's chest went heavy. A woman stopped him from shooting, however, and jerked her head in the direction of Nathalia and Nathaniel.

He turned his head and his eyes went wide. "Bloody hell," he said. "Nathaniel? And this must be your sister. It's nice to finally meet you Nathalia, though I wish it were under better circumstances."

"Who are you?" Nathalia asked. The man, who'd walked over to them, looked slightly surprised. "Sorry, I don't have many memories," she elaborated. The man nodded in understanding, and kept his gun trained on Nathan while he explained. 

"I'm Stuart Hatford, your mother's brother," he said. "Your uncle. Mary said they were going back for you, but I never knew how much you resembled her." then Stuart turned on Nathaniel. "Where is Mary?"

Nathaniel only shook his head. All hope left Stuart's eyes. He nodded again. "Don't look. This will be over in a moment."

"Wait," Nathalia spoke up. Stuart, who'd already turned around to finish Nathan off, turned back, confusion all over his face. "I want to do it." She stood, shakily, to her feet.

"Nathalia," Stuart said calmly, though it was clear he was losing patience. "That's not a good idea." Nathalia sighed and picked up the gun Lola had dropped on the floor on her way to Nathaniel. 

"I want to do it." she said again. Stuart sighed and eventually nodded, but handed her his own gun. She had no idea what she was doing, but hoped that whatever happened, her father would die a horrible death.