after visiting almost six places and having no luck, soobin was beginning to lose hope until now. he led her to a section that contained different photo accessories and looked around for a couple of seconds before reaching for something on the top shelf.

"it's not exact but it's close," he said and handed it to her.

a smile grew on soobin's face. "this is perfect. how much is it?"

it wasn't too expensive considering it was a simple, plain frame with the desired letter in the (thankfully same) corner. she planned to paint white checkers on it so it would be more similar to changbin's original frame.

an exhale laced with content escaped her lips as she began to walk back to the apartment. the moon had risen by then, street lamps and store lights illuminating the way.

she walked for a little while before the sound of a bicycle appeared from behind and a familiar voice called out soobin's name.

"minho!" she happily greeted, watching as he hopped off his bike to walk alongside her.

"what are you still doing out when it's this dark? it's dangerous," the elder boy pointed out.

a sigh escaped soobin's throat and she rolled her eyes, a grin playing on her lips. "i know, i know. i just had to look for something. were you at the dance studio?"

minho nodded his head, lifting one of his hands to push the hood of his pullover off.

"i didn't get to tell you: i was able to get a university scholarship for dance," he explained. "everyone else is busy with their exams but i just go there to kill time. you should come again — i miss dancing with you."

"you did?! oh my god, that's amazing! and i will, i promise. i'm just trying to keep up with all of my assignments."

the conversation paused for a minute, the childhood friends basking in the cool winter air before soobin spoke up again.

"when you graduate, are you gonna live alone?" she asked.

minho pursed his lips. "i'm not sure. even though the school's a little far, i think i'll be able to keep living at home. living alone sounds great.. but isn't it tough?"

"well, it's fun right now."

"cooking and doing laundry sounds like a pain too," the boy laughed, causing soobin to join. "i'm not good at that kind of stuff. i'd probably order pizza every day."

"minho!" laughed soobin.

"what?"

"that's so bad for you!"

their joined laughter filled the dim streets and minho sent a loving gaze towards soobin, reaching up to smooth her hair.

"but yeah, you're right. it's kind of hard living alone.."

"what," he scoffed and bent down to match her height. "you're over it already? i knew you gave up easily but this is a whole 'nother level!"

she nudged his shoulder with hers. "shut up, that's not it!"

"i know, i know. that's good," he chuckled. "mom was asking about you too."

"really? what'd she say?"

"she just wanted to know how you were doing. hey, if you ever need anything, call me."

"thanks, min."

soobin looked at him with a grateful smile that he returned, happiness filling the both of them to the brim.

minho walked with soobin until they reached her apartment building. it wasn't that far from where they had crossed paths, so they were able to arrive around five minutes later.

soobin looked up at minho. "get home safe, okay? text me."

"you can count on it," he smiled. "i'll see you tomorrow. goodnight, bin!"

after cupping her cheek and leaning down to kiss her forehead, minho grinned once more and turned around to ride home.

when he was out of sight, soobin hurried inside to get out of the cold weather and made it up to the apartment.

"boyfriend?"

changbin's voice sounded throughout the front room from where he sat at the dining table, staring soobin.

"hm?" she wordlessly questioned and tilted her head.

"the boy you were outside with. your boyfriend?" he asked.

soobin slipped the straps of her backpack off of her shoulders and shook her head. "..no. childhood friend."

"ah," changbin murmured, picking up his coat that hung on the chair. "well, i'm leaving for work."

"see you later."

the door closed behind him and soobin sighed out loud.

"you know, he lost his parents in a car crash when he was younger; that's why he always buys his lunch."

she headed to her room to her bag by her desk and bit her bottom lip. that means he probably hasn't had a home-cooked meal in.. a while.

she still felt guilty that she managed to break changbin's picture frame. shaking her head to get rid of the thought, an idea popped into her mind at the same time.

slightly smiling, soobin walked back out to the kitchen, tying her hair in a loose ponytail and grabbing the apron hanging on the side.

┊✿┊

miki's commentary!
→ my professor said my digital fox was pretty today (:< i'm a god