Three: Shower Thoughts

Start from the beginning

As the hot water did it's part to ease the tension you held in your back, you mused over what exactly the man could want from you. It was something your mind kept coming back to, but now, for the first time since Friday, you didn't put the topic from your mind. You needed some motive you could offer the police, knowing Harry wouldn't get off your case until you called them to report the man. And you were determined that when you called, you would make them take you seriously. They just had to.

Maybe he wanted money. But you barely had any savings left, if he wanted to leech money from someone he would surely go after Harry. Or, more sensibly, someone who got paid more than a college kid shelf stocker. No, it couldn't be that.

You had never involved yourself in any criminal activity. You were a good kid, a good student, a good friend. None of your exes were on bad terms with you. You couldn't have pissed anyone off badly enough for them to send him after you, that was crazy. Definitely not that.

He didn't seem like a run of the mill stalker, this guy clearly knew what he was doing - at least enough to scale a fire escape and climb through your window on (probably) more than one occasion, without being noticed. And nobody had seen him enter the Walmart earlier tonight, or else a panic would have ensued. With a shiver despite the hot water of the shower, you realised that he probably entered and exited the store without his mask on, only covering his face briefly to scare you. His face - there was a human behind that mask. The thought made you fucking angry. You hadn't done anything to this person!

You began to wash your body with milk and honey scented soap.

The man was careful, too careful. The more you thought about it, the harder it was to ignore. There had to be a plan beyond the events of the last week. Though he seemed to be having a sick amount of fun fucking with your mental state, toying with you, there was definitely an ulterior motive. It couldn't have been anything you had caused, you were probably just a random victim he had picked out from the street, a lottery from hell.

There were only three possibilities in your mind. The first two were horrific, that he wanted to either kill or kidnap you. It was possible, but he sure was taking his time. Surely a person couldn't be that sadistic, right? To toy with their prey before ripping it to shreds.

Putting the soap away, you started on your hair.

You thought it much more likely that this man was going to try threatening you. Coerce you into doing what, you didn't know. Maybe you had been randomly selected to participate in a drug heist. The possibilities were endless.

At least this was a good case you could make to the police. Convince them that the man was probably an experienced criminal, and you were an innocent citizen, a young woman who seemed like an easy target, whom he had simply selected to do his bidding. If you could convince the authorities that the man was more than just a run of the mill stalker, surely they'd take more of an interest.

You rinsed the shampoo out of your hair, sighing forlornly as you reached for the conditioner bottle. To your unsurprised chagrin, it was empty. It was so demeaning, you bitterly thought of drowning yourself in the shower. Yet you weren't quite that distressed. If the masked fucker tried anything, he'd see - you had a lot of fight left in you yet.

You towelled yourself dry, then headed across the hall to your room and got changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt. The time on your analog alarm clock read 11:03. So much had happened in the span of the last four hours, it was truly exhausting. You shuffled into the carpeted living room after putting on your most ridiculous animal themed pair of slippers - the ones you only wore when you were just shy of having a meltdown. Something about wearing stupid ass slippers made trying times just an inch more bearable.