26 - Searching for a Nobleman

Start from the beginning

Straightening my bonnet and securing my parasol on my wrist, I climbed the steps with purpose. The guards made no attempt to detain me, keeping their eyes directed to the street, and I was able to enter the lobby unmolested. Again, with purpose of intent, I walked up to the reception desk, hoping beyond hope that the gentleman behind it wearing a finely tailored suit would not look upon me with contempt.

"Welcome to the Palace of Westminster. How can I help you?" He offered his stiff greeting without looking up, and my hopes fell a notch.

"Hello, good sir. I am here to enquire how one might arrange a meeting with a member of parliament."

This query got his attention, and he lifted his gaze to acknowledge me. "Miss, one cannot just request a meeting with a member of parliament. One must be introduced by someone who can vouch for their character. Or one submits to a thorough inquiry."

"I thought as much. Would it help if I procured an introduction from the Duke of Norfolk or the Earl of Oxford? The Prince Regent, perhaps?"

His brows rose as if to say Indeed? "How do you know these noblemen, may I ask?"

And here we were. The question came up enough times that I had become numb to it. "I am Mistress Rosalind Hayes, former courtesan to the duke and the earl. And I forwarded the Prince Regent's initiative to increase compensation for permanently disabled soldiers of war."

His brows moved again, lowering over his eyes in a scrutinizing maneuver. "You will excuse me if I question your word. While I have read that Mistress Rosalind Hayes severed ties with her patrons and is now living with the Duke of Norfolk while courting a captain from the royal navy, I cannot be sure you are the courtesan in question."

I swallowed hard, having not read any gossip to that affect. "Former courtesan. And, please... Where did you read that?"

"The Times."

The Times? I didn't know whether to feel embarrassed or flattered. The paper had a mixed repute. "Well, the duke has been kind enough to rent me a room while the captain and I decide what's best for..." I realized I didn't owe this stranger an explanation for my choices, although he appeared fully engaged now, eyes wide and shoulders straight. "Can you tell me who is on the current roster for the House of Commons?"

He slid a journal toward me with a list of names on it. I read through the list and found the Earl of Perth halfway down ̶ Robert Malcolm Erskine.

"How long will the House of Commons be in session?" I asked.

"You caught them on the last day. They will break until the eighteenth of the month and another group of noblemen will sit for the next session. Have you found who you're looking for?"

"Yes." I held his gaze, hoping to enlist his help by any means possible. I had been told that my eyes could twinkle in the right light.

"I suggest you solicit your duke before the close of session today if you wish to forward your request."

Well, that was it. Apparently, this fellow was not affected by twinkling eyes. Although he likely had no sway with these noblemen. "How would it be if I submitted to a thorough inquiry? How long would that take?"

"At least until the next session." His interest in my personal life seemed to wane as he turned his attention to a well-dressed gentleman making an inquiry. I could only assume I had been dismissed.

Feeling as if the wind had been let from my sails, I left the Palace of Westminster and stood on the steps for a time. I had no inkling where the duke might be, and I would not ask him to adjust his activities to accommodate me. Did I dare ask the Prince Regent to vouch for me? Perhaps, just a signatory from his highness on palace stationary would suffice. Was I so desperate to speak with the Earl of Perth that I might intrude on Saint James Palace unannounced?