The Rain In The Meadow

*Hades*

"You." I point to the half-mortal. "You will stay here until I return, and then we will continue our negotiation. Try to leave, and you know what's waiting to rip you to shreds."

"Negotiation?" He asks, showing a tinge of hope.

I ignore his inquiry and turn my attention to Hermes. "You keep your trap shut and leave this to me."

Everything that consumed my mind was nothing but her. She doesn't know how much power over me she holds. I would drop everything for any minor inconvenience that came her way...but I know for a fact, she would not call for me unless vitally necessary.

An array of workers hustle the horses and chariot for me while I prepare myself, stress brushing my hair back. Everyone watches me nervously as I board the chariot, Jasmine more than the rest. "Be careful, Lord. This is it."

"Don't have to tell me," I respond gruffly. I give her an apologetic look for my harsh response before the horses trample forward.

*          *          *          *         *          *          *

*Persephone* 

I pace back and forth in the meadow, eyeing the top of the hill where my mother's cottage stands. Sweat is pouring unflatteringly down my forehead as I anxiously wonder how much time I have to speak to him for the last time...

Thankfully, after only a mere four minutes I hear the ground rumble beneath me. The ground quakes as I sense him closer to the surface. He's never burst through the grass like this! Surely, I will have to mend the earth after he leaves so mother does not see that he was here once she knows the truth. 

I move out of the way just in time. As the earth splits I fall flat on my behind, both from shock and impact. I stay sitting as he rises, black horses first, and his chariot close behind. I can't help but watch in awe of his presence. 

He has an incredibly demanding presence, but in a way that does not feel threatening. Perhaps, it is because of how I know him, and how he speaks to me that helps me stay comfortable around the Lord of the Underworld...but regardless, his presence is quite impressive. 

To be quite frank, it makes me all the more attracted to him in this moment...and also all the more sad of what I fear I need to tell him next. 

"Persephone." His dark eyes link with mine nearly instantly and he dismounts the chariot, not breaking the contact. "What happened? Tell me." 

Tears seem to come instantly now that the nervousness has passed. "I've made a terrible mistake!" 

He comes forward and takes me into his arms. I do nothing but bury my face into his chest to take a moment to calm down before facing him. 

He holds me tighter the longer I sob. I cannot believe it has to be truly over...I don't know what to do, or what he could do to stop this. 

"Please tell me what happened...it doesn't matter what you've done. I just need to know or else I can't help fix it." He murmurs into my hair patiently. He sounds calm and collected, but I feel a slight crack in his voice vibrate through his chest.

"I-I told Apollo to tell my mother about you so that I would not have to agree to marry him." I answer while facing his chest, unable to look at him in the eye as I admit my weakness. "I shouldn't have! I should have denied it better until we could figure it out! He-he left me with no choice. He said he would tell her if I didn't. He knew, Hades! He knew!" I grow more delerious with each word. 

Hades stays silent in shock and his chest grows stiff. I freeze myself, scared to pull away from him. "Mother will know any minute and I'll never be allowed to see you again."