My suggestion worked well. The rumor spread around the kingdom and the court had been suitably enamored with the idea of a surprise wedding, but there was a problem. Jasmine had explained the basic plan to Prince Ali and informed him that the wedding was, in reality, being delayed indefinitely. However, he hadn't seemed to hear that second part. Instead, he acted like marrying Jasmine before her birthday was a certainty and brought up the wedding in hushed tones every time I had the misfortune of seeing him.

It was beyond annoying. I still did not like to think about how this fool could be ruling Agrabah with the princess one day. So, of course, I was less than pleased to see the prince today.

Thankfully, Jasmine was not in the mood to see him either. "Not right now Ali," she told him. "Maybe tomorrow."

"You said that last night and the night before," he said approaching her desk. "Come on, Jasmine, take a little break from all this paperwork and have some fun with your betrothed."

I growled softly. Jasmine put a hand on my head to calm me. It didn't work. Every time he said the word betrothed, I found myself wondering why I hadn't let this fool drown.

Jasmine interrupted my thoughts by saying, "I can't. Ali, you know the kingdom is in a crisis. I need to get things under control."

Prince Ali frowned at her. "You've been doing that all week and it's not even your job. The sultan should be working on this."

The sultan? Seriously? Where has this idiot prince been?

"I am the princess of Agrabah. It is my job to support my father, the sultan, in the ruling of this kingdom. I can't frolic around when Agrabah needs me," she replied.

Even the sultan was frolicking less than usual. He was not smart enough to do much, but he was doing what he could. Recently, he had taken over meal planning for the palace. The results were mixed and I did not regret missing out on smelling the dinners they served, but the effort was there.

The prince tried a different tact. "I get that you think this is important and all, but Jasmine, even royalty needs a break sometimes."

"And sometimes, royalty needs to work." She finally put her papers down to give him a pointed look.

I looked at him too. I hadn't heard Prince Ali offer to help with all this work even once.

"Hey," he said, "I've been working." He grinned and whispered, "The wedding is going to be awesome. I just found the best band. They're playing at that festival I mentioned. You should see-"

Jasmine cut him off. "Ali," the princess said in a tired voice, "I already told you I can't go. I am sure the band is great, but like I've been saying you shouldn't get carried away with the wedding planning. The wedding is on hold, remember?"

He just winked at her and said in a louder than usual voice, "Of course the wedding is on hold, Princess Jasmine."

Jasmine's mouth thinned. "This isn't a joke, Ali. Just. Stop."

"Oh, I know it's not a joke." His smile turned cocky and then he winked again.

I tried not to groan.

"Ali, really. I need to work," she said, her voice growing sharp. "I'll see you at dinner."

"But-"

"Leave," she snapped.

Ali ignored the command and stood there dumbly.

I got up. If I had to chase him out, I would.

My movement seemed to wake him up. Prince Ali looked between me and Jasmine as if he really was hoping that we were joking.

Jasmine had gone back to reading the papers in her hands.

I snarled at him.

He actually had the nerve to look hurt before he said, "Fine! Spend all day here. I'm going to go have fun." He slammed the flowers on top of one of the paper stacks and left.

Unbeknownst to him, Jasmine watched him go. When he was gone, she slammed her papers down and swore.

Poor Jasmine. The princess's hair was coming out of her hairbands. Her eyes were bloodshot from a lack of sleep, and she smelled of stress. My princess was a wreck and it was partially my fault. Ali was bringing the exact kind of drama that I had hoped to avoid with my fake secret wedding idea. It figured that the one time he needed to lie, he completely failed at it.

I stood up and I rubbed my head against Jasmine. She patted my head but her expression didn't change as she stared at Ali's abandoned flowers.

"I told him the wedding was going to be postponed because I have too much work," she began. "Anyone can see I have too much work. And yet he wants me to try and relax?" She sighed. "He just doesn't get it. I'm surrounded by people who act like they never held a quill before and I'm just one princess. I don't need a little break. I need more help!"

The princess began to cry.

I nuzzled her harder. My heart broke as I did my best to help and comfort her, but inside I knew it wasn't nearly enough.

Jasmine was overwhelmed and I couldn't blame her. The only time, she had ever been close to this busy was when she first took up her court position over four years ago. And that had been work she excelled at.

Currently, Jasmine was riddled with the type of work she struggled with: foreign relations, petty politics, and a whole sleuth of issues that involved a lot of people-pleasing. Diplomacy was my specialty and I usually helped her with this sort of thing, but it was hard conveying all my thoughts and opinions as a tiger. It took time.

And that was one of the many things we did not have.