Chapter 14

Gotham City Police Department, Special Holding Cells - 9 PM

"My stomach," Brute Nelson said, leaning over the bars of his cell, his right hand clawing out and his left clutching his stomach. "Can somebody help me, please?"

Two officers stopped by his cell, one young, one old. The young one was murmuring something to the older one and was about to open up Brute's cell when the older one stopped him.

"Please," Brute murmured, falling to the floor.

"C'mon Steve," the younger officer said. "Poor bastard looks like he's in pain."

Steve scoffed. "Damn, Alex you can be really naïve sometimes. These bastards tend to fake it sometimes. Hell, I'm pretty sure he has a shiv."

"Officer, please," Brute said, tears down his eyes. "It hurts."

Steve chuckled. "Oh yeah, I'm sure it does. I'm sure it hurts as much as those folks' families. You know the one's you pushed to suicide. Hell, I'm sure it hurts as much as your wife."

Steve kneeled down and stared at Brute's bloodshot eyes. "She had three of her teeth missing, Brute. Three. Don't talk to me about shit hurting, Nelson. Specially after all the hurt you caused."

Steve slammed his hands against the bars of Brute Nelson's cell before walking off. Alex stared at Brute, kneeling over his face green. Stared at him with pity.

"C'mon Alex," Steve said, calling after him. "We gotta check out that clown. Commissioner's orders."

Alex left Brute Nelson behind as he threw up all over his cell.

...

Gotham City Police Department, Interrogation Room- 10 PM

The Joker was calm.

For a man behind bars there was no panic, no fear or regret in his face. Just ice-cold calmness. He was dressed in the bright orange waistcoat of a prison outfit. The make-up was washed out of his but it didn't make much of a difference. His face was just as pale as the powder he used and littered with blisters, his mouth was stretched out in a permanent grin and try as they might they couldn't remove the green dye in his hair.

"What did you find?" Batman asked as Commissioner Gordon entered the room holding plastic bags.

"A lot, actually," Gordon said. "The boys couldn't track the tailor of the suit, turns out it's homemade. The gun is custom made too. Guy burned out his finger prints so no definitive proof he is who you say he is. Blood tests come out blank."

Commissioner Gordon pulled out a cigarette. "Guy's a ghost. Nothing points to him being Napier. Nothing at all."

"No," Batman said. "That can't be true. Only Jack would have both the motive to go after the known victims. It doesn't make any sense for him to be anyone else. Even Two-Face kills for a reason."

Gordon shrugged. "Beats me. Maybe this guy doesn't want to be identified. Maybe he just wants to kill for no reason. This is Gotham we're talking about."

The Batman was silent.

Time passed, police officers coming in and out of the special cell the Joker was put in. Drinking coffee, taunting the bastard. Police officers came and went but the Batman remained.

At 11 P.M, Robin came in with Commissioner Gordon.

"You're still here?" Robin asked. "Don't you have better things to do?"

Throughout the hour, the Joker remained still. Not talking. But at 11 P.M the Joker broke his self-imposed silence.

"There's a bomb in this building."