The Talk of the Future

Start from the beginning

"The day you were late because of taking care of your kid instead of showing up half wasted and smell like a cheap perfume from the latest social climber girl you hook up with,"

"Ah, good old days. But I hadn't done that in so many years, dad..." Logan reminded his dad.

"Indeed you didn't. You just keep showing up with that annoying everlasting pout you have on your face since you broke up with Rory. Kept wishing that someday you would loose that gloomy look but you didn't. Sometimes you even showed up gloomier, more lost. And nothing seemed to be able to snap you out of it,"

"Was I that obvious?"

"No, you were normal. But any man who knows you would have noticed. You were flat. Nothing excites you anymore. I threw some challenges at you and you were seemed satisfied for a while after you conquered, but it was never the same,"

Logan raised his eyebrows. He didn't think his father paid that much attention to him as much as he didn't think he was that obviously pathetic.

"But then that smile came back. That loony half-witted expression you had when you were with her. That's why I didn't quite surprised when they said HPG hired her. Of course. Of course she's the only one who could bring back your Rory smile,"

He paused to make way for the server to serve their food.

"I have made lots of accomplishments in my life, Logan. Each was better and grander than the last. But you and your sister are my greatest accomplishments I failed to appreciate. I hope it wasn't too late for me to be your father,"

Crap, his eyes feels so hot. And he could feel a lump in his throat preventing him to make a sound more than a hum.

"Over the years I have been a demanding father. Never once I stopped and ask you what you want. I saw you failed and I thought you needed it to grow up, I saw you struggle and I thought you needed the experience. And I was right. But I was wrong about one thing. I thought your heart break will toughen you up, and prepare you to be the man I was. I thought you would get over it. Besides, men in our position don't need love, it's a distraction, it's a liability. We can find satisfaction anywhere else. But when I saw those sad lifeless eyes you carry with you that I realized, I never wanted it for you. I was sad for you. What you had was extraordinary, and I was wrong to not support you on it,"

Logan had to pinch his arm to make himself sure that this is really happening. His father actually admitting he's wrong. And he actually cares.

"Nothing you could do about Rory. It was her decision," Logan assured him.

"Oh, I could've done something. I am already the Mitchum Huntzberger when she was just a freshly graduated Rory Gilmore. I could have done something," he said. "But what's done is done. I didn't do anything then, but I could now. Therefore, I am offering a partner position for Rory," he said as he sip his drink.

"You what? Dad, that's huge."

"You're informally engaged, she's practically a family. And HPG is a family business, although I haven't been able to convince Honor to take part until now,"

"Well you didn't offer Josh,"

"Josh doesn't interest in this business, nor possesses the required skills,"

"You could've put him in an administrative position,"

"Come on, Logan. This is a family business, but a professional one. To actually take part in this business one must; first, a family. Second, have the skill. Third, interested. Honor has the skill but lack of interest. Josh never shown interest, and he doesn't have the skill. You, have the skill and eventually developed the interest. And Rory, damn, she has the skills alright. I don't play favorite, Logan. I don't get this far by playing favorite,"