The Truth and the Fear

"I've extended my stay. Papa and Maman will go back tomorrow after lunch. And I will move to this apartment. I have so many things to do in the city and staying at The Huntzberger Mansion is just impractical. The drive back and forth is just too time consuming," Odette announced a few days after the party.

Logan and her is preparing for a night out with the boys. Logan chuckled at her grumbles, he knows how practical she is, and driving two hours between Hartford and New York is so not her style. Her 'things to do' of course, are all related to shopping. And she has been complaining about having to go back to Hartford after a day of shopping.  

"Okay, you can spend the night here and I'll drive you there tomorrow to say goodbye to your parents and gather your things, sounds good?" Logan offered.

"Oui,"

"And Odette, you don't need permission to stay over in my apartment. We're getting married," Logan said as he changed into a more comfortable outfit. 

"Certainment. It will be easier if we set a date already. Winter is still too broad. There are four months and one hundred twenty dates. Pick one!" 

He's so don't need this right now. He's had a long day at work, a long week actually. And he'd been waiting for this weekend where he can relax with his friends. The office felt different without Rory in it. He used to be very excited to go to the office, but with Rory gone to her road show, he'd lost interest to go to the office. He sighed. Why should he pick a date? They will counter it anyway. Is his opinion really matters in this kind of things?

"You pick one, I don't have any particular interest on a certain date. They are all just numbers for me,"

Odette snuggled into his arms and watched their reflection on the mirror. They look great together. She is perfect. Perfect for him. He smiled.

"We look great," she said.

"Yes, we do" he landed a peck on her cheek.

"What date would you choose if the bride was her?"

Her eyes were rounded with curiosity.

"Excuse me?"

"After seeing you both at the party, I have been feeling that you haven't gotten over her. You have been distant lately, and even more so after that night. I have never had to work this hard for a man's attention before," she looked at him straight in his eyes, making him slightly uncomfortable.

"Odette, I don't..."

She studied him a while.

"I have accepted my fate long ago that I will never marry for love. That is what's expected of me, the only heir of my father's company. And I have made peace with that. But I always thought that my husband will also feel that way. I thought that we will be ordinary together, just two people working out for their marriage," she looked him right in the eyes, "I even expect some affairs, because that's what people in our world do. But as we go on, I noticed that I don't have to worry about affairs from your side. You do not show any interest on other women, other women but one. And I came to realized that if you are faithful, you weren't being faithful to me, you're being faithful to her. There's no woman that could compare her position in your heart, not even me. I could see the look in your eyes when you're looking at her. That dreadful longing and yearning were so intense. I certainly am not expecting my future husband being miserable for his long lost love. It's one thing to not be in love in a marriage, but to be someone your husband wishes was someone else is too much,"

"That's quite an assumption! We can have a happy marriage,"

She chuckled.

"Logan, you have been moping since I arrived last Friday. And I found traces of her here. You have a Rory box, filled with her things, and I found a picture of you two jumping with an umbrella in your work desk. You also have a coffee cup with her name on it at the back of your cupboard. And I can only guess that the Yale sweater you couldn't get rid off although it has coffee stains all over it and a loose stich, probably was her favorite sweater," she pointed out the facts.