The Uninvited Guests

"When will you come back?" Lorelai asked on the phone.

"You've asked about this last Friday, and for the tenth time, we'll be here for two weeks tops, but still have about a month touring in the States before we can go back," Rory sighed.

She's been in Europe for a week, after spending a two weeks in New Zealand and Pakistan to interview Jacinda Ardern and Malala Yousafai, and a week in Israel for Inna Beaverman. She's now in London, preparing her interview to JK Rowling tomorrow, and scheduling for interview with Christiane Amanpour sometime next week. 

"Are you nuts? You're leaving me to face another seven weeks of Friday Night Dinners without you? If she say 'I'm so disappointed' one more time, I'm gonna kill myself!" 

"You will survive, she's been saying that to you your whole life, at least now she's saying it to the maids," Rory pointed.

"Argh, she didn't say it to me but I can feel her thinking of it. She sees my doc martens and she's thinking about it, she hears my breathe and she's thinking about it, she feels me blink an eye and she's thinking about it!"

"Don't go to dinner wearing doc martens!"

"Why not? I look great in them, I look like a badass! Like Lara Croft, but ten times hotter. But my mom won't appreciate it, she thinks that in order to be beautiful a woman has to look like Princess Diana. I don't mind looking like her, but I don't think Mom will appreciate me coming to dinner wearing polkadots and cartwheel hat. Can you imagine? 'Lorelai, dinner is ready!' Oh wait mom, I can't see you outside my ridiculously wide hat. And please don't say I'm imagining things, because I don't. It is the product of my analysis based on history and my last night's dream," Lorelai insisted. 

"You'll be fine! It's just two hours!"

"Is this has anything to do with him?"

"What is?"

"You, avoiding to come back, is this has anything to do with him?"

"Who? Logan? Of course not!"

"It's interesting how I mention him and you automatically assume I meant Logan. Are you really over him?"

"I never said I'm over him. You were right, what we had was extraordinary, and I have been denying it for years. But now I have acknowledged it, got my closure, and ready to move on. And this will not be easy, but I am trying. I'll get there,"

"I'm proud of you, kid! But I meant that guy, that travel writer you met in Pakistan? He followed you to London, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Archie? Oh, him! He did not follow me here. He has a project in Brixton and it's only logical for him to stay in London," 

"Sure, it's only logical," her mother said in a mock voice.

Rory met this interesting guy in Pakistan who claimed he knew her from an elevator in New York. He said he spent the entire elevator ride gathering up the courage to ask for her name and number, but the moment he finally got his gut, the elevator door was opened, and out she went. All he knew was that she was working for HPG, or he hoped too, because she got off on their floor. It's two floors down from his office. He's a freelance journalist for the Conde Nast Traveler up on the 42nd floor, but he's rarely at the office. He's been meaning to visit HPG as soon as his four months trip completed, hoping that he would catch her. He hasn't been able to forget her since that elevator day. Her beautiful face was filled with confidence that day, but as a journalist he could see a spark of nervousness, and he found that really cute. So yeah, he had been meaning to go back to New York, and find a way to know her, but he visited a coffee shop in Pakistan one day, and there she was.