Chapter 20

Alice awoke and fluttered her mesmerising yet saddening sapphire blue eyes open upon hearing peaceful tweeting of the birds and the glowing sun coming up on the horizon and shining directly through the stylised window in the guest room and hitting her face, after a beyond restless and stressful night.

She sat on her elbows and shifted back against the headboard, staring down at the basic holiday t-shirt she was forced to sleep in as she feared entering the room to retrieve her night clothes, and then the pain that ripped through her cheek from the night before finally struck her again, grabbing it tenderly in her palm and wincing deeply.

Her ocean blue orbs welled up with tears as the moment Hal struck her played on a loop over and over again. She was aware of his temper but he had never reacted that way before and the thought of him lashing out at her filled her with horror, and uncertainty of what to do next.

The sounds of knocking on the door abruptly caught her off her guard, prompting her heart to stop and her trembling fingers to grip the sheets as she drew herself back, watching the handle shift and door move inward before revealing a much calmer and tender appearing Hal in the doorway.

"You're finally awake." He gently greeted with a tight but reluctant smile, almost appearing to feel guilty as he slowly waltzed in with a breakfast tray.

Her pupils dilated, filled with terror the closer he came towards, and judging by the switch in his expression from friendliness to seemingly genuine hurt, it was clear he got the message on how she was feeling in that moment, and that she more than likely wanted to be alone.

"Are you still-" Hal stammered with a bowed head, his voice laced with upset. He placed the tray down onto the bedside table before seating himself down onto the mattress, his beady eyes not leaving her for a second as she slowly shifted right to the edge on the other side.

"I- Honey, I know things got out of hand last night, but I'm not a monster, I'm your husband." He pleaded, before tenderly reaching his hand out to touch hers, but he was taken aback by her sharp flick, pulling her hand away and springing up out of bed.

"I-" Her voice trembled, pulling a fallen strand of her hair from her bun behind her ear. "Uhm- I'm supposed to have Charlie today, I've gotta go." She stated before making a beeline out of the room.

•••

She thanked her lucky stars for the miracles of concealer as she pulled up outside FP's home, glaring at the now disguised bruise on her face in her rear view mirror, tenderly gliding her frail hand over the mark, hoping the make up job she had performed in a hurry was enough to avoid awkward questions and fool others.

She stepped out of her station wagon, tucking her purse under her arms and braving the cold before walking up the concrete path towards the Jones front door. She caught Charles' cheeky smile by the window and gave him an innocent wave, one in which he reciprocated before disappearing from under the curtains and racing towards the door.

She heard the soothing sound of FP's husky voice behind the door, telling Charlie to sit down before opening up.

"Hey!" He gleamed, before furrowing his brows in confusion as he stepped aside to let her in. "I thought I was bringing him round to yours?" He questioned as she waltzed in and crouched down to Charlie's level, giving him a much needed hug.

"I know, I just figured it would be easier if I came and got him. You know, save you a trip an all." She lied in a playful tone as she ruffled Charles' hair. The truth was she didn't want to be in that house with Hal any longer than she needed to, and she certainly didn't want to bring Charlie around him. So naturally her first instinct that morning was to get out of the home by any means necessary. "Besides, I thought we could spend the day out."