Chapter 3

"Another unsuccessful interview." FP exasperated as he strolled through Fred's kitchen loosening his tie.

That was the third job in a month so far that had turned him down and he was starting to wonder what the point was.

"Beer and pizzas in the fridge." Fred told him before he walked out onto his back porch, FP soon joining him with a six pack and a box of pepperoni pizza. He needed to unwind, blow off some steam and relax, and who better to do it with than his best friend.

"Which one was it this time?" Fred asks curiously as he lifts the lid off his bottle.

"Security guard at Riverdale mall." FP revealed.

"And you couldn't even secure that?" Fred questioned in disbelief.

FP shook his head calmly, frowning his lips before taking a long swig of his beer. He had spent the past four years serving in the army. It was a rushed decision at the time, and he never went in with a full head and heart. It was just his escape from the craziness of his life, his relationships, his family and school life.

And with it being such a rash decision, he didn't think far ahead or about his post service plans. So here he was, 23, unemployed with the overwhelming fear that he'd amount to nothing in life.

"The job market's tough."  FP added with a head tilt as he leaned back into the garden chair.

"I hear ya." Fred said in support. "But I'm sure something will come along, you just gotta be patient, keep pounding the pavement."

He could always count on Fred to say the right thing. Things may have been a drag at the moment but he was right, he had to keep pushing, and he knew as long as he stayed driven and determined, things would look up for him.

"Noticed the sold sign out front next door." FP pointed out shifting from the subject, gesturing to next doors garden with his beer bottle.

Fred halted as he reached for a pizza slice, his face going blank as it turned mildly crimson. He hadn't told FP about the new neighbours yet, as he knew with them being his ex girlfirend and her new husband, it wouldn't be easy for him.

He anxiously turned his gaze back towards his best friend, clearing his throat before continuing. "Uhm, yeah. Turns out, Alice and Hal bought the place, can you believe it?" He chuckles uncomfortably, trying to soften the impending blow to FP's feelings.

He didn't want to tell him, but he was going to find out sooner or later, so he figured hearing it straight from the horses mouth was for the best.

FP released the bottle from his pink lips as they fell agape and his eyes conveyed unease. He swallowed and drew his mouth into a straight line "She's still with him huh? Good for her." He added nonchalantly before taking another swig of his beer.

He didn't necessarily mean it though. Just hearing her name set his skin on fire and caused butterflies to float around his stomach. He had thought about her every day since he had left for his service, since their break up actually, and hearing about how she had shacked up with Hal, it certainly didn't help him feel any better. They had their issues, but he still cared about her deep down.

Hal came storming in through the front door with Alice's arm firmly in his grip. He was still reeling from her outburst at the Sister's of Quiet Mercy.

"Let go of me!" Alice pleaded with tears as she ripped her arm from his grasp. She stormed straight into the kitchen and opened the doors wide, she needed fresh air and being back in the house with all the tension between she and Hal was suffocating.

"Do you have, any idea how embarrasing your childish little outburst was? How it made us look?!" Hal roared as he watched her pace up and down.

The commotion next door immediately gained FP and Fred's attention, causing them to rise from their seats.