Ch. 10 - We Can't Risk Losing this Guy

TW: RAPE, ABUSE, VIOLENCE; The religious views described in this chapter do not reflect that of the author.

"I have the warrant right here, ready to get this guy?" Peter Stone's tone is cold and sharp as usual. Rafael is standing next to him grinning slightly, excited to be back in the precinct around the squad he's known for so long. He feels a bit of comfort as he scans the faces of the detectives and his wife in front of him. It's been a month since he signed his contract and started his new job as a freelance consultant for the SVU. He made sure to start out slow, making sure he could get his footing and back into the high stakes environment before he dove headfirst. This is the first case he is working full time on since he started. Fin's voice shakes him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah, it feels like we've been trying to chase this jackass down forever," the detective's attitude shines through as speaks.

"Fin, it's only been a week," Detective Carisi shoots back to his teammate.

"Yeah, well it's been one hell of a week," Fin shoots back, "it seems the lull we hit last month was just a random happenstance instead of a forecast for the future." The squad members all nod and murmur in agreement before Olivia gets them focused on the topic at hand.

"Alright, well," she pauses briefly, taking in the expressions of the people around her, "let's go get this guy." She puts her bulletproof vest and starts to lead her squad out of the office. As the detectives make their way toward the elevator, Rafael grabs Olivia's arm gently and pulls her aside.

"Please make sure you stay safe, okay?" He asks of his wife, "Please, nena."

"Rafa, I'll be fine," she smiles reassuringly, "I've done this a lot of times before and I came out fine."

"I know, Liv," he pauses and they lock eyes before he continues his sentence, "we just don't know anything about this guy. We don't know what he's planning or what he's capable of." Olivia nods and places a hand on his bicep.

"I know, Rafa," she sighs before she shifts the heavy vest to make it more comfortable, "I'll stay safe. You know I'll be right in your earpiece, my love." Rafael smiles at her and gives her a peck on the cheek before she turns away. He pauses and watches her walk away for a moment, hoping for the best and fearing the worst. He went to catch up with Peter outside of the precinct next to the undercover car they'll be taking to Central Park. A plain-clothes officer is sitting in the driver seat. Peter opens the back door for Rafael to slide in first.

"Ready for your first takedown since you've been back?" Peter's voice is slightly playful despite the circumstances, this tone is new to Rafael.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he says quickly back to Peter. He is nervous that they are both going to the scene without any protective vests on. His mind is racing a mile a minute as he thinks about his wife and her safety, the squad's safety, and his own wellbeing. "Officer Adams, make sure to follow the squad's van and park down the block from them. The officer in the driver seat nods silently as he puts the car into gear.

Shortly after they depart from the precinct, Officer Adams breaks the silence, "So, I know a little bit about this case. But I am not too familiar with it. What's with this guy?"

Rafael and Peter share a look and both sigh before they dive into the case and explain it to the officer.

"Two weeks ago a woman walks into the precinct and is greeted by the Uni at the front desk," Peter recaps the events of the initial report, "She says her name is Aubrey Dodson and that her and her son, that is not with her, are being abused by her son's father. She confirms that she is not legally married to her son's father." Rafael nods silently as he listens to the ADA, Peter could see the officer's eyes widen.