Chapter 26 - Well, This Explains A Lot

"So...who wants to go through first?"

Paige rolled her eyes with a sigh, shaking her head at me to which I only shrugged. I found it a fair question. After all, we really didn't know anything about this supposed portal other than it being a magical dimension that took root in our house. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think any one of us were all that eager to see what was on the other side of it.

Along with the severed head of Leo's mentor, all three Halliwells plus Leo walked through to explore it. I, on the other hand, stayed behind to watch over the Manor and keep an eye out for the Horseman. I'd like to say Chris was helpful in this but truthfully, all he did was raid the fridge while I kept watch. Well...sort of kept watch. There was a Boy Meets World marathon on and Shawn looked cute in this episode - in my defense!

Smirking as Shawn flipped his hair once again, I couldn't help but feel eyes on me - green ones in particular. Glancing to my left, I saw a glowering Chris in the doorway, eyeing the TV screen suspiciously. Shrugging to myself, I went back to watching the show. Who cares what he thought? It was my favorite show!

Slowly, Chris made his way over and sat down beside me on the couch. Everything was silent and I laughed at all the funny parts...that is, until Chris opened his mouth.

"You know...in my time? He has no hair."

A gasp ripped from my throat and I stared at him with wide eyes in disbelief before my expression smoothed into that of coolness.

"That-" I said, using the remote as emphasis when pointing it at my boyfriend, "-is sacrilege."

He rolled his eyes in response then, attempting to wrestle the remote away from me. A fight ensued, a lot of kicking and shrieking but finally, he managed to cut the TV off just as Shawn was once again, going to flip his hair. I scowled at him, eyebrows furrowed.

"We need to focus on the matter at hand, Mattie. Do you know any lore on the Headless Horseman?"

Letting my anger dissipate for a moment, I shrugged, "I watched the movie but...I was really only watching Johnny Depp - no idea about the horse dude."

Chris arched an eyebrow at me.

"What? You didn't watch Sleepy Hollow? BUT IT'S TIM BURTON!" I shrieked at him, slapping him on the shoulder, "You know, sometimes I wonder about you, Chris. I really do."

However, we didn't have time to explore the subject of Chris' inadequacies when it came to films. We had to take care of the Headless Horseman problem. Or I had to, rather, after Chris simply disappeared somewhere. I was told by Leo and Paige after they had arrived back from Magic School that he supposedly summoned a demon to use a spell on Wyatt - they'd "caught him in the act". I didn't buy it for a minute, though. I knew Chris always had his reasons and he did for this, too.

Things fell apart pretty quickly after that - Paige ordered all the students brought back to the Manor after Piper had gotten her head cut off (don't worry, she's fine!). Eventually, Gideon, the man who owned the school, managed to get the Horseman back into the school's dimension away from the kids. And as I had figured, Chris revealed to me that he had, indeed, summoned that demon but to help Wyatt - not hurt him.

But it didn't help the situation - Chris' confession OR Paige and Phoebe going back to Magic School to help out - before the Horseman struck again, this time cutting off both sisters' heads as well.

Thankfully, the sisters were still able to say a spell to stop him before things got even uglier. However, once Phoebe had returned...well, acting "weird" would be an understatement. A massive one.

I don't think Paige and Piper took notice though as I walked into P3, finding them talking at the bar as usual.

"You're gonna make a really good teacher one day, Paige," Phoebe was saying, a smile plastered on her face.

Paige frowned, "Teacher?"

"Yes, in Magic School. I saw it with my very own... vision."

Okay, that was weird. See what I mean?

"Yeah, well, I don't think she's gonna be teaching Wyatt any time soon. Suddenly I'm more concerned about separating him from his family, than raising him as an only child," Piper admitted, shrugging.

Phoebe looked cagey as she replied, "Actually, there might be a day that you don't have to be concerned about that,"

"What do you mean?"

I passed by just then, my fingers intertwined with Chris' as he led me to the back room. It had always been his sanctuary, I think - his getaway from all of the Halliwell Manor craziness. Sometimes, we'd just come and listen to music or just sit and talk. And I have to admit that the more I got to know Chris, the harder I fell for him.

Chris closed the door behind us then and I trudged over to the small couch in the corner before flopping down on it with a laugh. Okay, so...maybe I was a tiny bit drunk. But only a tiny bit!

Chris grinned, shaking his head at my slightly tipsy state. I have no idea why he found this so amusing.

"Hey!" Phoebe suddenly said as she strode inside, shutting the door back behind her.

"Hey," Chris greeted, turning around to face her, "So did you come here to kick me out?"

Even in my state of confusion, I could glean the message behind that - he was alluding to his little rendezvous with the demon guy.

"Uh, no, actually, I came here to ask you a question," she confessed, seeming out of her element for once.

Chris shrugged, "What?"

"I need you to be honest with me," she said softly, taking a step forward, "No games, no running away, just the truth,"

He nodded slowly, "Okay."

If I had been worried my inebriated self wouldn't remember this conversation tomorrow, the next words that left Phoebe's lips ensured that I most certainly would as I sobered up completely in that moment.

"Are you Wyatt's little brother?"

Chris took a deep, shuddering breath, almost as if he had been expecting this in the slightest. I felt shocked, more shocked than when I'd even found out my own parentage, though, as he answered her.

"Only if I can get Piper and Leo back together in time."