I drove down the intersection, desperate to beat traffic and get a good parking spot on the lot. When I arrived I could see the large illuminating sign over the glass building that read, Heart Industries. I blew a breath of frustration as I parked my car and sat there for another five minutes. I wanted my life to change, I wanted the dreams to come to an end, but I was out of luck. I would forever be stuck working a dead end job without ever meeting anyone to fill the void inside my heart.

I mean, there was this thing with this one guy, but since we were forbidden to date it had led straight into a brick wall. It irritated me to no end. Just how was a girl to get a date around here?

Putting on a brave face I took several deep breaths before deciding to gather my things and get out. I had parked across the building and there was no better spot. I wouldn't be caught dead on the third floor of the parking garage. It took nearly an hour before you could find yourself finally pulling out of the exit. Placing my coat over my arm I secured the strap to my purse across my shoulders and reached for my coffee.

"And here we go." I said as I unlocked the door and slipped out of my car.

When I reached the side walk I waited for the light to turn green so that I could cross. Oddly, there was no one in sight. Usually by this time the parking lot and the sidewalk swarmed with pedestrians. I saw the light click green and hurried to get across. Just as I neared the other end I felt my phone vibrate and reached to grab it. The sudden screeching of tires and the impact of my chest hitting the pavement came too suddenly. I was out of breath as I laid on the floor fighting to gain it back. Numbness swarmed all over me as I felt the hard pavement against my cheek. Alarms began to go off in my head as I let out a stifled groan.

"Jesus H. Christ woman! Who decides to answer their phone in the middle of the street?" I fought to catch my breath as I pushed to my knees but found it difficult to move as pain shot up my leg, everywhere in truth. A scream left my lips once I realized I had been hit.

"Dear Jesus, I don't want to die!" I wept as I held on to my leg. There was still so much I hand't accomplished in this life!

"Stop being so dramatic, you'll live." The stranger harshly said. I fought to look up to stare at whoever had done this. Instead I felt my vision blurr and my head spin.

"Of all the people in this damn city it had to happen to me!" He ranted on.

I wanted to protest, to scream, and curse him out, instead I found that my tongue was growing flaccid in my mouth.

"I better get you to my doctor, I can't have this going public." He muttered.

I felt my vision blurr and the pain overwhelm my body. This was not the way I had intended on my morning to start.

***
~Dathan~

I hated Mondays with a passion. It always meant I had to renegotiate business and answer many emails swarming my computer. I hadn't had a decent night sleep since the year had begun and granting that life was treating me quite well I found no comfort in it. I was lonely and desperate for attention, but I would never admit it. The Heart family was known for reproducing, for growing in vast numbers. Cupid had personally saw it to become our match maker.

I wanted the arrow to hit me when I least expected it. I desired a family and a business of my own. I wanted it all. I was an only child of the family and yet had not found the right woman in the vast ocean of single ladies. None of them seemed to click. My mother often worried that I would never marry. I was twenty nine nearing my thirties and she was desperate to find me my bride.

Part of me had become tired of searching, most of them always wanted my wealth and recognition but never my heart. It wasn't long before I found that their love was never meant for me but for my wallet. The City of Harland was quickly filling with women who were nothing but conniving vultures that desired nothing more than vanity. I had given up finding one amongst them and had proceeded to travel to Theodosia and Ethel for something new. Their women were more exotic and graceful.

I drove into the intersection and got off the instant a grand sign promoted our building, the tallest of all to see. It was the annoying little cheap Harland car that prevented me from rushing. I impatiently tapped on the steering wheel as I witness it pull into one of our parking lots. Once it was out of my sight I pressed on the gas and hurried to park.

The ugly truth of having forgotten my cell phone had me reversing out of the valet parking in a hurry. No doubt that I had missed numerous calls in which I would be addressed over. I felt my gut twitch as I saw the green light turn yellow. I could make it.

The figure of a woman could not come at a worse time as I witness her cross the street and stop to answer her phone. My very own breath choked me as I slammed on the brakes. A scream erupted and I froze in my seat, my fingers gripping on to the steering wheel.

Anger and fear flooded over me as I unbuckled my seat belt and pulled out of the car. The entire front of the car was drenched in caffeine.

"Jesus H. Christ woman!" The anger left me before I could stop myself. I was angry at myself for having been the idiot to hit an innocent woman. Yet that did not stop me from being a complete dick to her as she begged God not to take her. I remarked harshly to her words and when she passed out I bent to gather her and put her in the back seat of my car.

The last thing I wanted was this accident going public. I could picture it now, the media getting their greedy little hands all over this accident. I felt fear grip me. Had I done the right thing by shoving her unconscious body into my car and fleeing? Who was she? And did she have any family that could seek to have my head on a stick? My palms grew sweaty as I reached my manor in record time.

My butler greeted me, except he hadn't expected me to come with a fainted woman in my arms. His gray aging eyes grew wide when he witnessed the mess of coffee and blood she was in. He stuttered to speak as I rushed past him into the house without a word.

"S-should I call the paramedics!" He shouted after me as I rushed past the foyer and up the stairs. The house had been in our family line for years. A few things had been remodeled but never the less most of the things inside the house were vintage and blood was difficult to remove. A wave of déjà vu hit me as I neared the top step.

A vision of a woman starring down in horror at a lifeless body washed over my thoughts. Feeling too distracted to comprehend what had just happened I quickly pushed the image out of my mind and focused on the task at hand.

"Call my personal doctor, Gregory, have him here as soon as possible!" I shouted out, as I reached the top floor. Kicking the door open to my personal bed chamber I laid her down and quickly checked her pulse. Luckily she was only passed out by the pain and not dead. Frustrated I hurried to retrieve my phone and call my cousin. He always knew what to do. This had not been the way I had expected to start my morning.

I paced, my eyes darting form her to the door. Hoping that I wouldn't have to hear Gregory rush up the stairs to alarm me that the police stood on the other side of the front door. My heart sped up the more I looked over at her and the stain of red seeping from her pants leg. How bad was it? Did I really want to look or simply remain by the door? I felt my stomach turn, vomit wanting to erupt from my mouth the more I looked over at her.

This was bad, terribly bad.