Peace

Chapter Eight

~Aria~

It didn't take long for my mother to come bursting through the door an hour after the accident had broadcast for all Harland to see. There was concern written all over her face as she reached to embrace me. Holding me close my mother took little acknowledgement that Dathan stood there.

When she finally did release me she turned to look over at him. Crossing his arms over his chest he tried to hide the fact that I had ripped open his shirt to reveal a plain white muscle shirt underneath. Dathan tired to keep a neutral expression as my mother took his chin into her hands and turned it from side to side as if inspecting his features.

"Is it true what they are saying? That you two where in an argument?" She asked.

"Mom, it's not his fault." I said, feeling a frown overcome my lips.

"What are you talking about Aria?" She said, turning to look at me with curiosity.

I looked down to my lap, trying to muster up the courage to tell her the truth. I wasn't going to let Dathan take the blame for this.

When I noticed that he was going to step forward I lifted a hand to stop him. He paused in his attempt to explain and I took a deep breath before telling her everything. Every bit of chaos that happened from the moment I woke up two days ago and to this exact moment in the room.

Her mouth hung open as she let go of Dathan's chin and then swung, hitting him with a closed fist. Dathan didn't budge nor toppled over, probably because my mom wasn't that good at striking someone, he merely took the blow and clenched his jaw.

"How dare you!" She said.

"Mom! Listen, there is no need to get angry over it. What I did was just as worse. I lost my temper and endangered both our lives there is no need for you to act that way. Haven't you been listening to what I have been telling you? Anger will solve nothing!" I said loud and clear.

She covered her face and shook her head as silent sobs escaped her.

"I'm sorry son, I should know better." She whispered and retreated. There was humiliation written all over my mother's face. Her hands wrapped around herself as she tried to compose her angered face. I know I was in for it too. I wasn't getting away with endangering our lives.

Dathan sighed and checked his lip before looking up to stare at me. "Can we stop with the violence? I agree with Aria it will solve nothing." He said, while flexing his jaw. I guess my mother really did hit harder than it looked. I threw an apologetic look his way and turned to look at my mother. I took her in as she walked silently towards the window which let a little light in through the open blinds. She dressed in a pink blouse and a flower printed skirt. Her purse dangled from one shoulder.

"Aria, I have taught you to be better than this. How could you have the nerve to cause such chaos?" She asked, turning to look at me.

I bit my lip and looked down to my broken leg. I was still in so much pain but the overwhelming attention I had gotten today had strayed my mind from my injured limb. In truth, everything ached. I wanted nothing more than to drown in hours of sleep until I awoke to find myself in perfect health.

"I'm sorry mom really I am. I'll make it up to him, I promise." I replied. I gripped the sheets in my hands and tried to settle back unto the bed.My neck was beginning to ache along with my shoulders.

"I need time to think Aria. I'm feeling all sorts of emotions right now. I'm happy, angry, sad, and irritated with this entire situation. I can't decide who I am more angry with." She said. Her face looked worn and she was blushing from the anger and shame she felt. My mother excused herself with a whisper, placed a kiss on my forehead, and closed the door behind her.

I looked over to Dathan who still leaned against the counter with a small sink, "What now?" He asked.

"I need rest Dathan, and so do you. The doctor said they will release me tomorrow. Let's just go back to our lives and pretend none of this mess ever happened. Plus, if the media sees you anywhere near me that will only make things worse for you and your entire family. I'm sorry I happened to stop half way down the cross walk. I should have known better than to take my chances and answer my phone in the middle of the street." I said.

Dathan stared at me a bit surprised as he finally pushed away from the counter and placed his hands into his pockets. "Aria, I can't leave you like this...I still feel the need to help you recover." He said.

I shook my head and waved it all away. I wasn't going to allow him to make things worse for him or I. Although a little part of me would really like to have him hang around more I knew it was for the best that he find his route back to home.

"No, you don't have to. You're not hearing this from my mother or any other family member, you are hearing it straight from my lips. Go home, rest, and tomorrow will be better." I said.

Dathan nodded and finally let out a small sigh before walking towards the door. He turned over his shoulder to look at me and pressed a thin lip smile on his face "Thank you, I don't deserve it." He whispered, before closing the door behind him. When the door clicked shut I let out a loud sigh and sunk into my bed. It was a bit stiff and everything smelled of medical supplies as I pulled the thin white sheets to my chin but it was better than nothing at all. I hated hospitals.

***

As I let the water slowly beat against my skin like lazy bullets I thought about what Aria had said. Reaching for the wash cloth hanging on the metal hook inside my shower I was suddenly reminded of a large bronze tub. I could clearly remember pressing a cloth to her skin, her sigh filled with relaxation as I gently cleansed her skin. She rested against my chest, her body pressed snugly against my own as we bathed.

My fingers squeezed down on the cloth as I recalled her lips smiling as my own lavished her skin. A shutter filled me as I closed my eyes and held on to the memory that had never been. How could I explain what was happening to me?

Was Aria a reincarnation of...her? Was I? I felt a large lump in my throat as I finished showering and dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Dressing casually was rare for me, so rare that I only had four pairs of jeans in my large closet filled with business suits. Putting on the only running shoes I owned I grabbed my car keys and left my house. I had plenty of questions and maybe my mother knew how to answer them.

*******************************************

A Word From The Author,

Dear Readers,

First off I'd like to apologize for the short chapter. However, I will keep writing Reborn so long as I keep getting ideas for the story to grow. It's hard trying to match this story with Arranged. The book alone has done so good that I know most of you expect for this one to be up for the challenge as well. I am doing my best to write the plot and the point to this story solid. If there is any questions you guys might have please comment below and I will answer. I will not rush this story because I want it to be written with a good flow and solid characters. So I apologize for the delayed updates, but thank you for showing your support by voting, commenting, and reading this story.

Sincerely,

Mara L. Ortiz.