23

Confusion.

That's all that he feels when they arrive at a little bakery near the entrance of the town. It was a path away and probably the closest of any of the businesses. The buildings surrounding it were houses, though as they took a turn into this particular path, Woozi was able to make out the blacksmith a little higher up and he caught sight of a delivery boy making his way out of one of the paths across from the blacksmith.

When he looked to Dino in question, he only smiled as Vernon braced himself for whatever reason had brought them here. He steps in, Dino and Woozi following closely behind. A little bell chimes their arrival.

The place is cute. With seats to his right and a little counter separating the workspace from the eating space. A door leading to what he imagined was the kitchen was near the start of the counter. To his right are tables full of displays; freshly baked breads, little cakes, buns, dumplings and all sorts of other pastries. It took all of his effort to turn away; it looked so good, that he suddenly felt a little hungry.

A boy steps out, seeming to have heard the bell and is about to greet them when he lifts his head and his eyes light up. "Vernonnie?"

In the blink of an eye, the boy has rounded the counter and he and Vernon are embracing each other tightly. They pull apart, Vernon grinning the way he was when they left. "Hey, Kwannie— Ow!" The boy, glaring at Vernon, hits him on his arm. Vernon stares at him in disbelief.

"I missed you, fool," the boy grumbles. "Were you ever planning on writing back to me? Huh, huh—"

"Of course I was, Kwan," Vernon interrupts, unfazed by the boy's clear annoyance. He seems to be used to it by now, which makes Woozi wonder how long they've known each other. Vernon releases a sigh. "Now will you shut up and hug me again please?"

The boy doesn't need to be told twice as he pulls Vernon into another hug, this one seemingly tighter than the last. He's shorter than Vernon, his head tucking into the nape of Vernon's neck. When they pull apart, the boy turns around with a clap of his hands and a small smile. "Channie, nice to see you again." His gaze flickers over to Woozi, analyzing him in one sweep. "I'm Seungkwan," he says, extending his hand.

"Woozi," he responds, accepting his hand. "It is nice to meet you."

Seungkwan grins. "You're adorable. How old are you?"

Woozi falters for a moment, his body freezing as the question rings in his mind. Vernon, who seems to have caught himself, places a hand on Seungkwan's shoulder and starts to pull him back. "Kwan—"

"Twenty-four."

Dino and Vernon's heads whip around to look at him. Surprise is a clear emotion etched into their faces, but Woozi ignores it. Instead, he and Seungkwan keep a hold of each other's gazes. Disbelief morphs Seungkwan's expression. "You're older than me?" he demands, eyes wide. "You sure don't look like it."

"I suppose not," he murmurs.

There's a clatter somewhere in the back, diverting everyone's attention to that particular direction. Seungkwan suddenly exclaims, grabbing hold of Vernon's hand and gesturing for Dino and Woozi to follow. His apron ties swing behind him like a tail.

"Mom made some cakes. These are the pastries." He's guided them to a table, shifting between the counter and where they've all taken a seat as he delivers each item of food he announces. He moves swiftly as he places an assortment of dumplings, cakes and little pastries onto a plate that he slides in front of Vernon. "Eat."

"Kwannie," Vernon groans, though he doesn't look like he's about to protest.

"Mingyu may feed you, but you occasionally need a snack," he states. His eyes skim over the food before he looks to Dino and Woozi. "You two go ahead and eat too."

They don't question him. The pastries are amazing; unlike anything he's eaten before. He thought a great feast would be having Mingyu's food and it being followed by Seungkwan's mother's goodies. They eat away before falling into conversation. Every time Seungkwan tries to ask Woozi something regarding his past (what he was doing before they joined, did he prefer this life, does he know how is parents are, where did he grow up and all sorts of questions because clearly Seungkwan was a talker), Dino and Vernon managed to avert the topic.

It's hours later when the bell jingles.

"Thought I'd find you here," Minghao comments, walking in with a smile.

"Hao!" Seungkwan cheers in greeting, waving frantically.

"Hey, Kwannie." Minghao's smile remains intact. "Sorry, but I'm gonna need to collect the boys." He genuinely looks apologetic. He stops behind Woozi's chair, watching as Seungkwan and Vernon stand up. They excuse themselves and head off to the other side of the bakery, a small conversation going on. He can't tell from their faces how the actual conversation is going. Whether they're sad or upset. He wishes he knew, but at the same time, he doesn't. Looking away, he sighs.

"They're together," Minghao says softly. Woozi looks up in surprise. "Hardly get to see each other, but somehow they've made it work."

"It must be extremely tough," he murmurs.

Minghao smiles tightly. "Definitely. But I think they'll be okay."

When Vernon rejoins them, he and Dino step out. Woozi waits for Minghao, but he seems unmoving. When he looks, he sees Seungkwan gripping onto the sleeve of Minghao's shirt. His hand is shaking and he looks as if he's about to burst into tears at any second.

"Hyung—"

"Kwan, he loves you. We love you. That's why you need to stay here." Minghao's voice is firm, his stance backing up his words. "You can't come with us."

"I could be helpful, hyung."

Minghao releases a sigh. With a single movement, he moves Seungkwan's hand off his arm and his other hand rests on Seungkwan's shoulder. "You could get hurt. And then your mom will hate us, and Vernon will resent us for ever agreeing to let you on board."

Pulling away from Minghao's touch, Seungkwan lowers his head. "I just miss him."

"Kwannie." Seungkwan looks at Minghao. "When a day comes that it's safe, you can come with us. Okay?"

Seungkwan nods, but he doesn't say anything. Instead he watches as Minghao turns around, hand brushing along Woozi's arm as he guides him toward the door. They falter in their steps at the sound of Minghao's name being called.

"Just keep him safe. And fed."

The corners of Minghao's lips pull up. "Always." With one final exchange of goodbyes, they step outside. Vernon and Dino are waiting across the road. When they fall into step with them, Vernon's first words are an apology.

"He asked again, didn't he?"

"He misses you," Minghao defends.

"I miss him too, but—"

"He understands, Vernon." His tone is gentle as he looks at Vernon. "He understands. So, don't worry okay? We'll try not to keep you apart for this long again."

Vernon nods. As they make their way over, Dino spares Minghao a few glances, an unspoken question in his gaze. Minghao catches him and rather than pretending he wasn't looking, Dino sighs.

"So, what's the delivery?"

Minghao's lips press into a line, expression grim. "I don't know."