19

When Dino gives him the okay, Woozi steps outside and together with Minghao, they make their way up to the top deck. Heads turn their way; the crew are all huddled together near the wheel aside from Scoups who is steering the ship. They stop a few feet away from the group who has yet to say anything. All they do is stare.

Which is why the moment he's being pulled into an embrace, he hasn't even registered it. He can't tell who it is, but he doesn't push away. Instead, he returns the embrace.

"So glad you're okay," the person—Vernon—says. At the sound of his voice, he can't help but be surprised. He was almost entirely sure Vernon didn't quite like him, so him admitting he's glad to see him, much less to be receiving the hug, the surprise is definitely not misplaced in his opinion.

"It is good to see you as well," Woozi murmurs as Vernon sets him down onto the ground delicately. Vernon lifts his hand, resting a hand on his head and he ruffles Woozi's hair, a silent message being passed on.

He's about to respond when the sound of his name pulls his attention over. Mingyu, who hadn't been with the group, races across the deck. In one giant scoop, he's lifted off the ground into an embrace so tight, he struggles to return the hug. Another set of arms soon join in, a 'hello' being passed on from Hoshi. They stand that way for a good full minute or two before he's placed back on the ground. He knew Mingyu was tall but actually being lifted by Vernon as well as Mingyu, he was able to tell the difference.

"It is good to see you all again," Woozi says assuredly as he's finally placed down. Hoshi steps forward, wrapping his arms around Woozi, but not lifting him. It's a much more gentle embrace and he remains unmoving. His eyes scan the group before falling onto Minghao. "So where is our next destination?"

"Our next client," Minghao informs him, seeing unfazed by Hoshi's sudden need for affection. Woozi suspects it's happened before. "Not all of us will need to see them so when we get there, Cheol and I will go. We'll get the information we need and come back to discuss the plan."

"But you are definitely taking this job?"

"Yes," Minghao says firmly. A set of footsteps hit hard against the deck, causing Woozi's head to whip around at the sound. Everyone was there, so who could it possibly be?

"You're awake!" Joshua calls out cheerily. He makes his way over, a constant smile across his face. "I'm glad." His hair is messy, like he's just woken up, but Woozi highly doubts that. As he stops in front of him, there's a hint of recognition that has his stomach tingling.

"You are on the ship?" It's the first thing he can think to ask.

"Yeah." He grins a little more, if that's even possible. "Helped out a little."

Minghao grumbles. "In exchange for weapon delivery."

"Hey now. You were the one who wouldn't just take my help. You offered and insisted it was the only way you would, in fact, accept my help." He turns his attention back to Woozi, smile relaxing as he does. "Good to see you're in one piece."

"Thank you for assisting us."

"I mean, pretty sucky assist," he says, seeming to know what Woozi was actually referring to. It wasn't the saving him part or the fact that he helped the crew but more the fact that, despite not knowing them, he helped them out when they needed it. He helped them in escaping. He's frowning, lips pressed tightly together. "You got caught," he mutters. "Which I'm sorry for by the way."

"You do not have anything to apologise for," he says with a smile. "You were able to get Dino to safety. Which is better than having both of us captured." He means it. As much as he absolutely hated being caught; hated what they were doing to them, when he looked over to Dino, all he could think was how grateful he was that one of them was able to escape. If it had been both of them, Dino wouldn't have been able to get to where the crew was and they would have possibly failed to rescue both of them. If both of them were captured, Joshua wouldn't have been able to find the crew and they'd be in the same boat.

When he looks over, Minghao has that brief smile across his face again. "He's not wrong."

With a clap of his hands, Mingyu draws their attention to him. "In celebration of your rescue, I say I will make a feast. I'm dying to cook again."

"An entire feast?" Hoshi squeaks out in disbelief.

Mingyu's expression shifts in seconds. He looks sheepish. "A little bit less of a feast, then. But still, supper?" Without waiting for a response, he makes his way down to the lower deck. The group starts to move, but Minghao stays back to speak to Scoups and, without knowing, Woozi waits too. Minghao seems to note this.

"You didn't have to wait," he says charmingly. He's already walking. "Just told Seungcheol to take a break." As these words pass itself into the air, Scoups joins his side. An arm drapes around his shoulder.

"Is that safe?"

"When the waters are this calm, it is," Scoups informs him with a grin that shows off his gums. It's a cute smile. "But I'll still go and check every now and again. Since the waters can always change their mood."

Listening to the way he speaks about the waters, it's clear he's been in it for as long as Minghao. Like there was no life other than this. Anything else could never be considered a possibility.

When they get down to the dining and kitchen area, he doesn't have a chance to process where everybody is seated. He doesn't get to choose where to sit either as the moment he's there, Vernon tugs him onto the seat beside him. Minghao sits on his other side. They've already poured drinks, a cup being nudged into his hand.

"To a successful rescue," Joshua says, lifting his cup. They mimic his words, knocking cups together and chugging it down. Woozi chooses to take it one big sip after another, not wanting to cough it all up again.

"Okay?" Minghao whispers in his ear. His breath is warm against Woozi's neck and somehow, it's more calming than the hugs.

Woozi hums. "I am very glad you all came to rescue me," he admits softly. There was a part of him that feared he'd be stuck there.

"Did you think we wouldn't?" Their shoulders are pressed together. He doesn't know how they closed the distance, because there was a large space between them, but he definitely doesn't mind it.

"Whether I did or not does not matter," he murmurs. "You rescued me. That is all that matters."