Chapter 2: Frozen

The early morning sun was shining through the blinds of every window in the house as Vaughn was busily making a quick and simple turkey and cheese sandwich for John who was still up in the guest room. He assumed the boy would be hungry but he didn't know what he liked, so he just settled on a simple sandwich.

He started up the stairs with the plate in hand, absentmindedly listening for the familiar creaking sound of the stair that was third to last before you reached the second story of the house, and wondered to himself if John would tell him what had happened last night.

Vaughn silently opened the door to the guest room John was staying in and caught sight of a familiar ravenette still in bed. Vaughn assumed he was still sleeping so he just set the sandwich on a nightstand that was by the bed for him to eat when he woke up.

John was now lying on his side, back to him, and he was still cuddled up in all the blankets, although he seemed to take a liking to a fluffy white one as he seemed to be clutching it with both hands to his chest.

Little did Vaughn know, however, was that John wasn't sleeping at all. He hadn't slept the whole night. He wouldn't, he couldn't. Sleep meant nightmares and John didn't like those. His golden eyes continued to stare blankly off into space, as they had all night, as he didn't even register that someone else was in the room with him.

Vaughn continued to stare at John a little more, a frown becoming apparent on his face.

It was clear that he was in no condition to go to school. He also felt a little uneasy leaving the boy here alone in the state he was in, but he didn't really have a choice. He had a school to run after all. Vaughn took one more glance at the sleeping John, or who he thought was sleeping, before closing the door silently behind him.

"Sir? Sir? Sir!" Vaughn snapped out of his trance, his green eyes widening ever so slightly. He put the white teacup down that he was drinking from and turned to face his head of security.

Yes, Keene? What is it?" He asked the dirty blonde-haired man.

"Forgive me, sir but I kept trying to get your attention and you wouldn't respond. Is something on your mind?" Keene's light blue eyes shown with concern and curiosity as he questioned the headmaster.
Vaughn looked at Keene for a little while longer, slightly unnerving the other male, before turning his head back to face forwards towards the door.
"It's nothing. I just have an unexpected visitor staying at my house." He replied while picking up his teacup again to sip at its contents.
"Oh? Who might that be, if you don't mind me asking?"
Vaughn glanced over at Keene again, contemplating on whether or not he should tell him about John, his eyes narrowing slightly.
Keene, feeling judged by the powerful man's narrowed stare, nervously adjusted his round glasses on his face as he waited for the teal-haired man to answer.
"It's nobody. I'm just trying to figure out some things involving him." Vaughn decided that there was no reason for Keene to know about John right now.
"Ah, ok, sir. Well, I'll be stopping by Darren's office and then heading back to my own. If you need me, you know how to reach me." Keene said, awkwardly waving as he walked out the office door.
Vaughn sighed. He was just anxious for the day to be over so he could go home and check up on his student. He also really wanted to know what had caused the boy to act the way he was. Vaughn ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. Curiosity and worry was getting the best of him and the only person who could stop his raging questions and thoughts was John.