Chapter One

I had to get home, I had to.

See, my mother is very ill, she has been diagnosed with brain cancer ten years ago, then she got better, but the cancer cells came back and it has been present inside her body till today.

I just came out of the hospital receiving excellent news, my mother’s chemo worked, again! The cells are gone, again! My mother doesn’t like staying at the hospital, even though I beg and tell her that the hospital will watch over you while I am at school, but no, she doesn’t listen. But luckily today, she never ever has to visit the hospital for checks again.

The only problem now, is how the hell do I get home?

My mother and I live in a small apartment in the biggest city in Canada, Toronto. My mother never talks about my father, I never have met him and I am glad I haven’t, who would leave their family! I have a job at a small flower shop, I don’t know how the hell this money supports my mom and I, but It does. I don’t have to pay for my school for some reason, and our apartment has one room, one bathroom, kitchen and small living room. I have no computer or television, let me just say, we barley have any fancy electronics in the apartment. I could have just said we live under a rock. Anyways, the city is huge, and the nearest hospital is freaking an hour away from the apartment, plus I always take different routes to go to the hospital or back, so I never memorize the way.  

Now, I am just stuck. I am in front of the hospital doors. I should probably call my mom to tell her I will be late, and yes, we do have a phone at the apartment, an old crappy one. I remember being so fascinated when my mom brought it home one day. Now, all I need to find is a phone booth and a quarter.

I spot a phone booth and run towards it; I get in and look through my pockets for a quarter.

“Oh, please, please. There has to be a quarter in here somewhere. Please, ah! Found one!”

I put in it in and dial my phone number. “Come on mum, pick it up, I have amazing news” Ring Ring..click.

“Hello?”

“MUM, guess what!”

“Hahaha, Izzy, calm down, Good news right?”

“Yep, I went to the hospital to get your reports on the chemo check, and oh my gosh, you wouldn’t believe this-“

“Yes, I believe it,  my cancer cells are gone, they phoned me this morning” She starts laughing. “Izzy, they obviously will call me first, you didn’t had to go but thank you”

 “WHAT, but they told me to go check with them...., now I just feel really useless, but isn’t it exciting, we should celebrate!”

 She laughs, “ Yes, yes, now where are you?”

 I don’t want her to worry, “uh, in front of the hospital, I’m lost, but don’t worry, I will find my way home, just rest.”

 “I’m not worrying; you always find your way home, just ask for help, and besides, it’s Friday, go have some fun.”

“But, I have to take care of you and-“

“Oh Izzy! Go! I’m going to invite some friends over, you will hang out with your friends now go, I will see you home at 9, have fun, love you, bye” Click. Ping ping ping

How dare my mother hang up on me, and besides I don’t have any friends, what am I supposed to? It’s 4:30 right know, what the hell am I supposed to do for freaking five hours! Maybe, it will probably take me five hours to get home, who am I kidding. I’ll just wander....

In front of the hospital is a busy street, very busy. Across the hospital is a huge arena, huge! I cross the street at the cross light, and run towards the arena that is surrounded by screaming girls!