Andres Behring Breivik: The 2011 Norway Attacks

Fjotolf Hansen (born AndersBehring Breivik (Norwegian pronunciation: [ˈɑ̀nːəʂ ˈbèːrɪŋˈbræ̀ɪviːk] 13 February 1979), also known by his pseudonymAndrew Berwick, is a Norwegian far-right terrorist whocommitted the 2011 Norway attacks. On 22 July 2011, he killed eightpeople by detonating a van bomb amid Regjeringskvartalet in Oslo,then killed 69 participants of a Workers' Youth League (AUF) summercamp in a mass shooting on the island of Utøya. In July 2012, hewas convicted of mass murder, causing a fatal explosion, andterrorism.

While still a juvenile, he wasarrested, and was consequently rejected from the Norwegian ArmedForces. At the age of 20 he joined the anti-immigration/right-wingProgress Party, and chaired the local Vest Oslo branch of the party'syouth organization during 2002. He left the Progress Party in 2006and went on to join a gun club, while also founding a company whichhe used to finance his planned terrorist attacks.

On the day of the attacks, Breivikelectronically distributed a compendium of texts entitled 2083: AEuropean Declaration of Independence, describing his militantideology. In them, he stated his opposition to Islam and blamedfeminism for a European "cultural suicide." Thetext called for the deportation of all Muslims from Europe andBreivik wrote that his main motive for the attacks was to publicizehis manifesto.

Two teams of court-appointed forensicpsychiatrists examined Breivik before his trial. The first teamdiagnosed Breivik with paranoid schizophrenia but after this initialfinding was criticized, a second evaluation concluded that he was notpsychotic during the attacks but did have narcissistic personalitydisorder and antisocial personality disorder.

His trial began on 16 April 2012, withclosing arguments made on 22 June 2012. On 24 August 2012, OsloDistrict Court delivered its verdict, finding Breivik sane and guiltyof murdering 77 people. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, in aform of preventive detention that required a minimum of 10 yearsincarceration and the possibility of one or more extensions for aslong as he is deemed a danger to society. This is the maximum penaltyin Norway. Breivik announced that he did not recognize thelegitimacy of the court and therefore did not accept its decision—hedecided not to appeal because this would legitimize the authority ofthe Oslo District Court. In 2016, Breivik sued the NorwegianCorrectional Service, claiming that his solitary confinement violatedhis human rights. A subsequent court ruling found that his rights hadnot been violated, despite an earlier ruling, and in June 2017,Breivik filed a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights,which dismissed his case in June 2018.

As of September 2020, his lawyer(Øystein Storrvik) has made an application for parole, on behalf ofBreivik; Breivik has the right to have the courts make a decisionregarding [his application for] parole; Breivik has to serve at leastten years before [possibly] being paroled.

Since his imprisonment, Breivik hasidentified himself as a fascist and a Nazi, who practices Odinism anduses counter-jihadist rhetoric to support ethno-nationalists.

After he had carried out his attacks,it became known that psychiatrists had recommended him be removedfrom his mother and placed into foster care when he was 4 years old,as she was heavily emotionally and psychologically abusive towardshim. However, the recommendation made by the psychiatrists was notfollowed, and Breivik remained in her care.

Names and early life

His family name is Breivik, whileBehring, his mother's maiden name, is his middle name and not part ofthe family name. His family name comes from Breivika in Hadsel, andliterally means "broad vik" or "broad bay."On 9 June 2017, Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang reported Breivik hadchanged his legal name to Fjotolf Hansen.