The Texas Killing Fields: The Galveston 11

The Texas Killing Fields is anarea bordering the Calder Oil Field, which is a 25-acre patch of landsituated a mile from Interstate Highway 45.

Since the early 1970s, 30 bodies ofmurder victims have been found within the Killing Fields area. Theywere mainly the bodies of girls or young women. Furthermore, manyyoung girls have disappeared from this area; the girls' bodies arestill missing.

It is believed that many of the murdersare the work of multiple serial killers. Most of the victims wereaged 12–25 years. Some shared similar physical features, such assimilar hairstyles. Despite efforts by the League City, Texas police,along with the assistance of the FBI, very few of these murders havebeen solved, and those that have were confessed from prison or forcedfrom police.

The fields have been described as "aperfect place [for] killing somebody and getting away with it". After visiting some of the sites of recovered bodies in League City,Ami Canaan Mann, director of the film Texas Killing Fields,commented: "You could actually see the refineries that are inthe south end of League City. You could see the I-45. But if youyelled, no one would necessarily hear you. And if you ran, therewouldn't necessarily be anywhere to go."

"

Victims

Brenda Jones, 14--Galveston,Texas, July 1, 1971-July 2, 1971: Last seen on her way to visit heraunt. Her body was found in Galveston Bay near Pelican Island thenext day.

Colette Wilson, 13--Alvin,Texas, June 17, 1971-November 26, 1971: Disappeared on County Road99 and Highway 6 after she was dropped off by her band director. Herbody was found five months later near the Addicks Reservoir, near thebody of Gloria Gonzales.

Rhonda Johnson, 14--Webster,Texas, August 4, 1971-January 3, 1972: Last seen walking with SharonShaw along Seawall Boulevard in Galveston. Her skeletal remains werefound in a marsh near Clear Lake.

Sharon Shaw, 13--Webster, Texas,August 4, 1971-January 3, 1972: Last seen walking with RhondaJohnson along Seawall Boulevard in Galveston. Her skull was found inClear Lake, and the rest of her remains were recovered in a marshnearby, alongside those of Rhonda Johnson.

Gloria Gonzales, 19--Houston,Texas, October 28, 1971-November 23, 1971: Last seen near herapartment on Jacquelyn Street in Houston. Her severed remains werefound near Addicks Reservoir in the same area as Colette Wilson.