Part 2

Callums POV:

Rayla's screams were unbearable. 

I swear I nearly wet myself and it was really uncomfortable. Only Ethari was here to help, and a man who makes weapons doesn't have the delicacy to bring a baby into this world. Still, after all these years he was the only one by our side. He'd tried so many times to give us a way back into the village or even just give Rayla a chance to see her sister.

I remember the day that Eithari told us about what her parents had done.

Rayla didn't come out of her room for three days.

But this baby would have him, Rayla, and I. This Baby would not be alone, I would make sure of that. 

Afte what Ethari claims to be 14 hours of labor, Ethari just sweeps the baby up and carries her out of the room. Rayla starts swearing at him to bring the baby back and I try to calm her down, after all, he's probably just cleaning them off. Is that something doctors do? Does Ethari Know what doctors do? Rayla attempts to get out of bed but then screams as if her leg has been ripped in half. I soothe her the best I can. 

But after a few moments, Ethari comes back in. His face has gone entirley solemn, his anxiety is the type that lingers in your thoughts. the shock of birth was gone from him. 

"It's.." his voice drifts on but Rayla is too eagerly grabbing our baby to notice. 

And then we see. 

The baby's not breathing.

Rayla starts uncontrollably sobbing, she is having a panic attack right before my eyes.

My world is gone, but I can still feel everything. I can feel the edges of myself go up in flames, someone has lit me on fire, and I have all the anxiety of burning to death, without having a way to stop it. I can't see everything is black.

But I know what to do, 

I swore I would never again.

But when it comes to my family, my Rayla and my child

Right and wrong don't matter.

"It"s okay Rayla!" I scream.

Rayla's not even breathing properly. 

Is she breathing at all?

I remember this spell, this spell the other part of me would whisper to me in my dreams. I don't have time to find a deer or milk fruit, but I can hear the whispers in my head, and I know what I must do.

This isn't even a choice.

I grab a knife off of Etharis belt (seriously we trusted this man to deliver our baby?) and as quickly as he says "Wha-" I cut him off.

I cut off my own finger as well.

I start muttering and my hair is lifted by the wind. The wind that once used to be my friend.

I remember those days, I can still feel how sweet it was to know my truth, who I was meant to be. 

After all these years I still don't think I'll ever taste that again.

But being her husband, and being a father,

It is something worth more than my purpose. 

This is my destiny if I ever had one.

in moments the finger evaporates into blue mist, the mist snakes through the air, and then lands on my baby's closed eyelids. 

There is a second of silence Rayla really has stopped breathing now.

And then it rings clear.

The slightly warbled but strongest, happiest, and most beautiful cry I've ever heard.

Rayla and I sob, waves of emotion overcoming us. We hold our baby tight, who knew it could be such a miracle just to know someones is breathing, just to hear a piercing wail.

But then we notice something.

Rayla gasps though her crying makes it ragged and messy.

"It can't be" she stutters

Ethari hovering over us gasps as well. A hand claps over his mouth and he steps back. 

"Oh my Xadia."

I look at both of them confused. I kick up onto my feet. "What!? What's wrong!?" No one should be allowed to use the phrase 'You gave me a heart attack.' They haven't felt the restless needles plunging through my lungs and heart.

"She's okay," Rayla says anxiously, coaxing me to sit back down. "It just seems our baby girl is a lot more than special."

She gestures to the Moon shaped pattern that arches through one eye on the precious milk-white face and touches the top of the other.

My passion for magic and all things related never died, so I know exactly what this means for Rayla's religion, and what our child means to the Moonshadow elves. 

And to all of Xadia.

It would turn out that my baby girl, was the chosen one. 

a/n: OMgosh I cried while writing this! Thank you for sticking around and coming on this journey with me! read the next chapter "The Prophecy". Everyone welcome baby Luan into the world!