Chapter 25: Merry Christmas

Start from the beginning

"I know it's hard, but we've all got to act as though we don't know anything yet. We've got to stay put, at least until we hear from your mother, all right?" Sirius said. There was silence for a few seconds

Ginny, however, took a few steps over to the nearest chair and sank into it. The twins glared at Sirius for another minute, then took seats on either side of Ginny. I sat at the corner of the table.

"That's right," said Sirius encouragingly, "come on, let's all . . . let's all have a drink while we're waiting. Accio Butterbeer!"
All of them drank their butterbeer, while I sat there, staring at my butterbeer.

Then a burst of fire in midair illuminated the dirty plates in front of them and as they gave cries of shock, a scroll of parchment fell with a thud onto the table, accompanied by a single golden phoenix tail feather.

"Fawkes!" said Sirius at once, snatching up the parchment. "That's not Dumbledore's writing .... it must be a message from your mother ....here...."
He thrust the letter into George's hand, who ripped it open and read aloud,
"Dad is still alive. I am setting out for St. Mungo's now. Stay where you are. I will send news as soon as I can. Mum."

George looked around the table. "Still alive . . ." he said slowly. "But that makes it sound ..."

He did not need to finish the sentence. It sounded as though Mr. Weasley was hovering somewhere between life and death. Still exceptionally pale, Ron stared at the back of his mother's letter as though it might speak words of comfort to him. Fred pulled the parchment out of George's hands and read it for himself, then looked up at me, my hand shaking on my butterbeer bottle and I clenched it more tightly to stop the trembling. I don't know why that happened!

It's been long and no news from Molly.
Fred fell into a doze, his head sagging sideways onto his shoulder. Ginny was curled like a cat on her chair, but her eyes were open. Ron was sitting with his head in his hands, whether awake or asleep it was impossible to tell. I looked at Fred. Just looking at him brought tears to my eyes. but I wiped away my tears. There were much important things going on and I didn't want to gain the attention of anyone. They already had a lot on their minds.

And then, at ten past five in the morning by Ron's watch, the kitchen door swung open and Mrs. Weasley entered the kitchen. She was extremely pale, but when they all turned to look at her, Fred, Ron half-rising from their chairs, she gave a wan smile.

"He's going to be all right," she said, her voice weak with tiredness. "He's sleeping. We can all go and see him later. Bill's sitting with him now, he's going to take the morning off work."
It was good to hear that Mr. Weasley was fine. Fred fell back into his chair with his hands over his face. George and Ginny got up, walked swiftly over to their mother, and hugged her. Ron gave a very shaky laugh and downed the rest of his butterbeer in one.
"Breakfast!" said Sirius loudly and joyfully, jumping to his feet.

"Where's that accursed house-elf? Kreacher! KREACHER!" But Kreacher did not answer the summons. "Oh, forget it, then," muttered Sirius, counting the people in front of him. "So it's breakfast for ...let's see ....seven ... Bacon and eggs, I think, and some tea, and toast ...."

I hurried over to the stove to help. I did not want to intrude upon the Weasleys' happiness. I had barely taken plates from the dresser when Mrs. Weasley lifted them out of my hands and pulled me into a hug. "I don't know what would have happened if it hadn't been for you and Harry, dear" she said in a muffled voice.
"They might not have found Arthur for hours, and then it would have been too late, but thanks to you he's alive and Dumbledore's been able to think up a good cover story for Arthur being where he was."

I tried to control my tears, but I couldn't. Few tears rolled down my cheeks. I hoped Molly wouldn't notice, but she did.

"What wrong dear?" she asked.