Chapter Three - "Nanami & Touko, And...?"

(A/N): Yes, I renamed the story to "Alongside Us" because it makes more sense in the grand scheme of things.

Ran's POV

Hiromachi-san... I'd like to see her again. I wonder what band she was a part of?
Definitely not any of the ones I know...
I guess?

Maybe I should go quickly visit her.
I have to ask her something important.

I'll have to take a taxi, since I am not walking back there.
It's kinda chilly out today.

Later, at Nanami's House...

Reaching her house, and paying for the expensive taxi, I knocked on her door.
As expected, Nanami answered, then recognized me.

"Ran-chan again?" she asked. "Something on your mind?"

"Sorta, yeah." I responded.

"Then come on in! Company is always appreciated!" She let me in her house, and I walked in.

She's pretty nice. Inside, her house seemed fancy. Of course, nowhere near the Tsurumaki residence, but it still shows her parents are well-off too.

Nanami and I sat down on the living room sofa, and she picked up her bass guitar and started tuning it.
"Sour note, no, the string might be messed up..."

I cleared my throat to get her attention. "Hiromachi-san..."

She stopped me. "Just call me Nanami. Hey, do you want something warm? You look cold. I've got someone in the kitchen making something for us."

"Huh?" I turned around and looked at the kitchen, which had no walls separating it, just an open area, which I somehow passed by without noticing.

Just as Nanami said, there was one other girl, facing the microwave, doing something.
She turned around, and smiled.

"Heeeeey!" she said. "Hold up guys, I'll be right there!"

She rushed towards us holding two large bowls of something.
"Touko-chan!" Nanami said to her. "What'd you make?"

"Something to keep us warm," the girl, named Touko, said. "What else is tasty and not only warm us up, but keep us full? Soup!"

"But there's two bowls," I said. "And three of us."

Touko nodded. "One for Nanami and I, one for you!"

Nanami shook her head. "I will not share soup with you!"

"Ehhh?! Why not?" Touko told her.

"I'm nearly a grown-up! I want to do grown-up stuff, like eat alone!" Nanami said back. "Besides, the soup's not even spicy enough."

Th-they're arguing over soup...?

I looked over at one of the bowls of soup, and I sneakily took it while they were blabbering.

Hrgh... is this... extra spicy noodle soup? Cough, cough...

I tried suppressing my coughs, but the soup was too spicy, and started coughing loudly, into my shoulder, at least.

Nanami looked at me, and started chuckling to herself.
"Ran-chan can't take the heat, huh?" Nanami teased.

Touko came up to me with a water bottle and let me drink it.
"Indirect kiss aside, this'll help you with the spicyness."

"Wh-what was in that soup?" I shouted. "My poor, poor throat..."

Giggling, Nanami spoke up.
"Oh, some imported spices my parents brought in from exotic lands... ghost pepper, jalapeno, and hot habanero spices!"