Chapter 23

Hey y'all so I just realized as I began writing this chapter that in my last one I made a mistake. I'll go and fix it now, but for those of you who read chapter 22 before I fixed it, the death eater meeting won't be next Saturday like I said, it'll be 2 weeks away. Sorry about that!

The trio made no mention of Cassie giving Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons for two whole weeks after their original suggestion. Cassie and Harry's detentions with Umbridge were finally over, so she was able to have her full attention on preparing to infiltrate the death eaters.

It was the day before Cassie was planning to show up to the death eater meeting. She was sitting in the library reading over notes Dumbledore gave her to help earn their trust when she felt three shadows hover over her.

Turning around hesitantly, she was met with the sight of Harry, Ron, and Hermione peering at her nervously.

"Yes...?" Cassie questioned, breaking Hermione out of her trance.

"We were wondering," Hermione said, "whether you'd thought any more about Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons."

"I thought I told you already," Cassie said with an eyebrow raised, "I'm fine with doing it as long as Harry helps out so he can take over after Christmas."

"Oh, alright then, so what do you think, Harry?" Hermione directed toward Harry.

Harry did not give an answer at once. He had given the matter a great deal of thought over the past fortnight. Sometimes it seemed an insane idea, he had no idea how he could be qualified enough to teach after someone like Cassie. Although, at other times, he had found himself thinking about the spells that had served him best in his various encounters with Dark creatures and death eaters — found himself, in fact, subconsciously planning lessons...

"Well," he said slowly, "yeah, I — I've thought about it a bit."

"And?" said Hermione eagerly.

"You'll see what I do until Christmas, Harry. I promise you, you'll do fine after me," Cassie reassured him, noticing his hesitation.

"I guess so... it'll only be you and Ron anyways, yeah?"

"Well," said Hermione, now looking slightly anxious again. "Well... now, don't fly off the handle again, Harry, please... But I really think Cassie and you should teach anyone who wants to learn. It doesn't seem fair if we don't offer the chance to other people."

Harry considered this for a moment, then said, "Yeah, but I doubt people other than you two would want to be taught by me. They'll only be interested in Cassie."

"Well, I think you might be surprised how many people would be interested in hearing what you've got to say," said Hermione seriously. "Look," she leaned toward him; Ron, who was still watching her with a frown on his face, leaned forward to listen too, "you know the first weekend in October's a Hogsmeade weekend? How would it be if we tell anyone who's interested to meet us in the village and we can talk it over?"

"Why do we have to do it outside school?" said Ron.

"Because," Cassie stepped in, "I doubt Umbitch would be very happy if she found out what we were up to."

——-

The next night Cassie sat in Dumbledore's office before having to head out to Hogsmeade. She was a nervous-wreck on the inside, but she tried her best to display confidence on the outside.

"I'm not quite sure how many death eater's will be present, but there definitely will be a meeting. It should be at the abandoned house on the outskirts of Hogsmeade. Use your Occlumency at all times like we've been practicing and make sure to put on your best act. These people will not be fooled easily," Dumbledore instructed.