Chapter 9

"Stupefy!"

"Reducto!"

Cassie fired spells at targets that popped up left and right, trying not to miss any. She squinted her eyes trying to adjust to the darkness the best she could, but it was harder than she thought.

Suddenly Cassie felt a sting on the back of her shoulder as she was searching for more of the targets. The sting signaled her that she missed a target and it got to her first. When you miss one, the fake target sends out a sting so you know if it was a real mission, you'd most likely be dead.

"FUCK!" Cassie yells out as the lights flick back on.

The clanking of Moody's wooden peg could be heard as he strolled into the Light and Shadow Room.

"You've gone at this half a dozen times with barely any progress, Ms. Black. You need to notice the signs of a target being present, even in darkness," Moody scolds.

"I know, I know," she says annoyed, "it's just fucking hard to see in the dark."

"And that's why we're practicing. Out on missions you'll be spending a lot of time in the dark and if you miss a target you'll end up dead," he explains bluntly.

"Can I just go one more time?" Cassie pleads.

Moody thinks for a minute, his eye moving all different ways. "Fine. Once more then we have to go," he gives in.

Cassie beams, "Yes! Thank you!"

Moody grunts before walking out to set up the room once more. The goal for the room is to knock out any target you can pinpoint in pitch black. If you miss just one, you're stung and the simulation ends.

There's a dozen targets to take out, but so far, Cassie has only taken out 5 targets before she's stung. It's definitely harder than it looks.

Cassie takes a deep breath peering around a tree as the room is taken over by darkness. She listens in and hears muffled footsteps diagonally across from her.

"Stupefy!"

One target down.

Immediately after, a branch crunching could be heard and a shoe was seen by her for a split second.

"Expulso!"

"Locomotor Mortis!"

Second and third targets down.

That's something else Moody instructed Cassie to do to make everything a little bit harder. He didn't want her to use the same defensive spell over and over again. For what reason she had no idea, but then again, he's the expert Auror.

Soon after, two more targets were taken down and Cassie still hasn't been stung yet. The targets become more difficult to take down as the number you've gotten increases, so she was honestly happy she's gotten to this point without being stung.

Cassie was crouching behind a pole when a slight gust of wind past by her as if someone ran near her. She spun around on her heels quickly, ready to get another target.

"Reducto!"

Six targets down, a new record for Cassie.

She was on cloud nine knowing she has set a new record for herself, but she couldn't celebrate just yet. Cassie was determined to keep going.

Another 15 minutes past and she was able to get two more targets. Cassie wanted nothing more to get the rest of them, but when she switched trees to hide behind, she felt the familiar sting on her calf.