Even

"You talked to Annie?" Kitty moved to the edge of her seat. I had captivated her with only a few short words.

"So?" Sarah shoved a handful of Jade's grapes into her mouth.

I sighed, "I think Jason saw us."

The girls exchanged glances before breaking out in laughter. I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the support."

"Sorry," Jade said before wiping away a tear, "We were just wondering what the newest episode of y'alls mini-saga would entail."

I scowled, "It's not that dramatic."

More laughter.

"Okay, okay," I tried to calm them down before they burst several blood vessels and we took a trip to the hospital. "I get the point."

Sarah cleared her throat, "If anyone should be worried, it should be him."

"Right," Jade added with the same smug grin plastered across her face, "His ex and the girl he caught feelings for talking?" She whistled.

"He hasn't cau-"

"Caught the love bug?" Sarah cut me off and made doe eyes.

"Face it, he likes you so much that he'd go down on you," Jade interrupted the thought to take a large sip of wine. The bar is so low. She held up her finger to keep our attention, "On hardwood floors."

"Ohhhh," Sarah smacked the couch in excitement, "That's true. Lucas always wanted a pillow to kneel on."

I looked to Kitty for help but she was nodding along. She traded Sunday morning sermons for the drunk ramblings of her two best friends.

"That's not true,"

Sarah scoffed, "Were you there?"

"What? No. Jason isn't..." I thought about all the possible cosmic consequences that could come from lying. "We aren't..."

Kitty raised a curious eyebrow, "Listen, if I have to live with the image of my brother railing you in the forbidden hole, then you can admit that you have a crush." As soon as the words left her mouth, the room went silent. Kitty's eyes widened as we all realized what she said.

Fuck.

Sarah's jaw hit the floor, "Wait, what did I miss?"

"Can we go back to the part where he was fucking your ass?" Jade snickered.

"Only for a minute," I struggled to respond, "Last year. Before I left."

Kitty put down her glass and poured another, "Who doesn't lock their door when they're getting nailed?"

I blinked at the dig, "Who works in a sex shop with their brother?"

"Fantastic point," Sarah raised her glass and turned to Kitty, "Rebuttal?"

Kitty pinched her lips, "Step-brother."

Sarah and Jade cackled at the poorly constructed defense.

"I'm not the one on trial here," Kitty said with forced laughter.

"Actually, you never have mentioned how you started working at Pink Cherry," Jade wiggled her eyebrows and popped another grape into her mouth. Her once flawless lipstick had smeared into a Joker cosplay.

I tilted my head; Kitty never shared much about her past at all.

Kitty shrugged off the questions, "Jason needed my help managing things,"