Chapter 5

Michael looked cold, colder than ice. He stalked over towards me but I threw up a barrier so he couldn't come closer. David came and stood next to me, and we both looked at Michael. "You think you can teach her better than I can?" I looked at David, and he seemed to get my message. He was talking to him not me. "Yeah, and she has improved wouldn't you say?" Michael glared at me now. "You're too good. You can't be that good of a dancer naturally." I looked at him, and he stepped back. "Oh, but I am...why can't you accept that?" Michael turned in a circle, looking for the lights in the room. It was bright, but there were no lights that did the lighting. I held up my hand and the light intensified, which made Michael spin on me.

"You...you're a..." I smiled and closed my palm, the light went out completely. "A Mage, an elementalist." Michael made a whimpering noise, and I opened my palm. The light spread around the room again. He stared at me, then at David. "Fine I'll go, but be warned that I could protect her. I would have taken good care of her!" He stormed away, and David rushed me back to my room. "Stay in there, don't come out, don't do anything until I come and get you." He ran back off down the hallway, and I went into my room locking the door firmly behind me. I walked around for a bit, and finally found a small remote in my drawer. I hit the on button and a television, better than the one I had back in my compound showed me the latest news headlines. Reports on who had been sent to the beast, and small things like when the next non-rain day was coming. At least four times I saw myself in the ballgown holding David's hand and smiling for the cameras. But each time I watched it I noticed something. The security guards ran out at a certain point when they focused on our faces, you could barely see the movement of their coats.

But I did see it, so I looked at the remote. We were in the best place for technology, I hoped there was a button that would give me what I want. There was, it read "information". I pressed it and said, "Show me any security issues that took place at the palace three nights ago." There it was. There had been a break-in, a man claiming that Mages ruled the kingdom and controlled the king. He also said that the Mages would die at the hands of the people the moment they knew they existed. I fell back into a chair. That was why he had locked me in my room, he didn't want me to die. But he would die if they discovered whom he was. I waited for hours, re-reading the report on the screen over and over again. Finally there was a knock at the door. I walked over, but waited for David's voice to tell me it was okay. But it didn't come. I walked away and picked up the small gun David had given me after a few weeks of training. I stayed silent, and I heard voices in the hallway. Voices that didn't belong to anyone I trusted. After waiting another hour the voices had left, probably assuming I wasn't there. I still had my gun loaded and ready for anyone who dared come through the door, and I waited for David's voice at my doorway.

Finally, around 8 p.m. there was a soft knock at my door. I walked over and listened. "It's safe Emma, you can open your door now." I threw the door open to David's face. I pulled him inside and locked the door behind me. Then I stormed over to him and kissed him. He pulled me closer, and we stayed locked in this embrace for some time. Every so often I would gasp for air, but David pulled me back in again. Finally I put my hand to his chest and we broke away, but for less than a minute. I had enough time to get into bed and throw on a nightgown before he joined me and we were back in this entanglement, in the heat of the moment. He was gentle, but each time we kissed it was different. Sometimes he was chaste and short, other times long and passionate. Somehow I got him to stop, and I fell asleep. But I woke up an hour later, screaming once again from dreams. David was still there, and he held me close as I calmed down. He planted a kiss on my forehead and I turned to look at him. "What happened today? I know about the man who broke in the night of our engagement, so what was it today?" David looked down at me.

"People were looking for you, they think you've corrupted my father by using magic. I told them it was just a rumor but they still waited for you for hours. You must have been dead silent because they can hear things that even we can't." I nodded, and then looked over into the corner, my wedding dress was standing on a mannequin waiting for the day a few weeks away. I gazed around the room, then looked back at David. "How long until the wedding?" I asked, my voice quiet. "22 days and six hours." he replied, but he sounded hesitant. "Could it become 2 days and six hours?" I sighed, I knew that if we were married it would always be safer for the both of us. David smiled, and looked up at the dress. "If you wanted, but it wouldn't be the big televised version." "I didn't want that anyway." I said, bringing myself closer to David. I could feel his breath on my cheek. "I'll pick you up sometime tomorrow, wear something nice." I smiled, and fell into a deep sleep not plagued by dreams.

In the morning David had gone. I locked my door, I didn't know if I could even trust Brooklyn. I picked out a simple white dress that went just past my knees. I put on white flats and did my hair up in a bun, a few fiery curls fell around my face. I stood up straight and looked at myself, I looked decent at least. Finally there was a knock on my door. I listened and David's voice said, "Emma? Come to the training room." He walked away and I waited for two minutes. I walked out of my room, and down the hallways. I entered the training room and found David, Amelia, and a man waiting. I walked over to David, and we faced the man. It was all a blur, an exchange of vows and rings and then signing the official documents with Amelia. When it was over and the others had left, David and I had a moment of peace. Then that moment ended.