Your stomach ties itself in knots and your heart races absurdly.

"I don't know if telling you this is a good idea." Azumane frowns slightly. "Especially since Kuroo is back in the picture." His words fall and you watch him regret his confession. "But I couldn't hide this from you. So I'm sorry if my selfishness becomes a burden to you Y/N. My only regret is not falling for you sooner."

Azumane pulls himself away from Y/N. He dramatically sighs and droops his shoulders. "Now I have Kuroo as a rival for your heart and I'm sure this is already a losing battle." Azumane seeps back into his depressing state. A sight you're familiar with after the years of being close to him. "I guess I'll just be friend zoned for eternity. I'll die lonely in a mansion after my career sets off."

Azumane murmurs depressing thoughts to himself, completely forgetting that you're still listening to him.

"Stop it." You hop off the hood of Azumane's car to stand in front of him. You grip his jawline, forcing him to look at you. "What makes you think I'll fall in love with Tetsurō again, Asahi?"

A melancholy expression reflects in your eyes. "Because...you wouldn't fight so much to ignore him if you didn't Y/N. You tell yourself you're afraid he'll walk out on you again but I'm sure you really meant to say...that you're afraid to fall in love again."

The stern glare you give Azumane falters. Azumane carefully pries your hand away from his jawline. He presses a soft kiss to your hand, a pained smile. "And I'm sure Kuroo is unwilling to walk away from you a second time. He'd be a fool to."

With a heavy sigh, Azumane sits up from the hood of the car. "Until he musters the courage to take you away from my grasp, I hope you don't mind if I act selfishly." Azumane lowers your hand to your side and he presses his forehead against yours. "My fragile heart definitely won't forgive me for what I plan to put it through from here on out."

The sadness in Azumane's voice makes your heart ache. You want to tell him he's wrong but you couldn't loosely lie like that. You didn't choose who to fall for. Your heart would waver to whoever it wants. You can only feel sadness and guilt at the incapability to return Azumane's emotions.

With your growing age, love is something serious and precious. It's not something you loosely say or do to kill time.

Just like a friendship.

"Asahi...this won't break our friendship will it? I don't want to lose you. I'd rather not love at all if we could keep what we have together." Your words tremble from your lips when you look at the man towering over you. His closed eyes and rested forehead against yours.

Azumane became your safe haven and you didn't want to lose that.

"Don't say such cruel things Y/N." His husky tone sends chills down your spine. "We all deserve love and I don't want you to push it away just for me. I told you before, I'll be here for you. No matter the time or location."

His words cause your eyes to sting into tears.

What did you do to deserve a wonderful friend like Asahi?

Azumane hears Y/N's sniffles and slowly flutter his eyes open. His hands cup her face and he wipes the tears away with his thumb. "My proposal still stands as well. If Kuroo doesn't pop the question before you turn 30, I'm not hesitating to sweep you up off your feet." The corner of Azumane's lips curl into a smile and he faintly chuckles.

You cast your eyes down, feeling annoyed that you're crying so easily in front of Azumane. He doesn't seem to mind it too much. Azumane continues to wipe your tears.

"I don't deserve you Asahi." You mutter, wrapping your arms around his waist. "I think that's my line." Azumane weakly retorts. His arms find themselves embracing Y/N again. The two not uttering another word.