22 - Minding a Drunken Sot

Start from the beginning

James waited until he had secured the attention of everyone at the table, then he nodded and took his seat. By this time, I was nearly sure it was the Duke of Devonshire making such a fuss. The moniker he had earned during his tenure as a naval officer, the devilish duke, fit him well.

The meal began, and the tension in the room gradually calmed to a soothing drone of voices. Countess Kingsley seemed determined to occupy Alice in a topic that had them both smiling. As for Jules and his father, neither had been seated next to an ally, and they appeared to be stewing in their own juices as dinner progressed.

When the dessert plates were removed, my nerves began plaguing me again. How many noblemen would follow the earl into his study to discuss the matter of Alice and Albert's union? Would the earl be pressured to dissolve the engagement? I needed to confirm my suspicions about this James fellow.

As bodies left the dining hall, I watched Cicily usher Alice away, which appeared to be at the behest of the countess. Jules had moved to sit in an empty chair beside his father, and I made my way around the table to speak with them as they hunched close in a private exchange. When I arrived, their conversation stopped.

"Pardon my intrusion, but can either of you tell me who that blustery nobleman is? The one the earl addressed as James?"

"That is the Duke of Devonshire," the admiral said. "He is a traditionalist who enjoys stifling progressive concepts and viewpoints at every turn. He and I fought in the battle of Copenhagen. Although I doubt he remembers me. My rank was higher."

"He's a bloody arshe, if you ashk me. And I won't let him inshult Alish like that." Jules slurred through his curse, and his father shook his head.

"Jules. In your state, you will likely do more damage than good for your sister. Rose, can you keep an eye on my son this evening? I believe the countess and Lady Kingsley are managing Alice."

"Of course. I had hoped Jules and I could enjoy the Quadrille later."

"In his condition, I doubt you'll make it through one dance." The admiral stood and straightened the lapels of his jacket. "I am going to invite myself to take an aperitif with these noblemen. I am the bride-to-be's father, after all." He strolled off, looking as formidable as I had ever seen him, while Jules attempted to unseat himself from his chair.

I wound my arm tightly around his. "How would it be if you retired to your room for a refreshing nap, Jules?"

"I am perrrfectly capable of managing a party. I am not that drunk." He hiccupped and swiped a pitcher of water off the table, looking around for an empty goblet.

I found one sitting on a sideboard and held it out while he did a terrible job of pouring. He managed to keep water off our shoes, but when he drank from the cup, he spilled it down the front of his jacket. I dearly wished to know how many guests were opposed to the engagement, and I kept the admiral in my sights until he disappeared around a corner.

As I tugged Jules away from the dining room by his sleeve, he hiccupped again. "What are you up to, Roshe?"

"I am following your father. Don't you want to know who else is opposed to Alice and Albert's wedding?"

He allowed me to escort him around a crowd of mingling guests, and when we arrived in the hall leading to the earl's study, I counted off four men as they entered the room. Given that the earl, the admiral, and the Duke of Devonshire were not among them, I calculated at least seven were interested in the outcome.

"That doeshn't look good for Alish and her betrothed," said Jules.

"It doesn't mean anything. I have faith the earl will manage things. He is not the type to let other people tell him what to do. Even other noblemen."