1.5

*

*

They'd moved simulation testing to the next day, giving everyone a break after Al's death. Initiates and official Dauntless members filled the training room to watch - the initiates biting their nails nervously and the members watching with excitement.

The final stage hadn't started just yet - the leaders of the faction were talking amongst themselves and, standing in their midst, was Jeanine Matthews. Eric's words of warning the day before rang in Ana's ears as she stared at the woman. Why exactly was she targeting Divergents and why would Dauntless be harboring them?

Ana did not know a Divergent but she didn't understand what the big deal was. If she thought about it, anyone could fit into any faction whether or not the faction they chose was their aptitude result. The result was merely a push in the right direction but only you knew where you were meant to be.

The testing started soon enough and initiates began fighting their ways through their simulations. It was weird to see other people's fears play out in front of you and Ana looked for any techniques she could pick up from other initiates.

All too soon, it was Ana's turn to sit in the chair. Her nerves were eating her alive and she had to force herself up to the platform. She caught Eric's eye from his position next to Jeanine. He didn't offer her anything aside from a nod of his head but it was enough for her.

Four administered the drug in her arm and she closed her eyes, ready to embrace each of her fears as they raced toward her.

The first two were easy - she had been in them many times and knew exactly what to do. In order to face claustrophobia in the box, she ran her hands against the bottom, searching for anything to break the walls open. Her hand clutched a large rock and she slammed it repeatedly against the wall before it finally cracked, and she pushed her way out.

A bright light pushed through her vision and Ana blinked, taking in the open ocean in front of her. The familiar panic in her chest rose as she stared at the water around her. There was no land close to her now, but she knew it was around. That's why she began to swim, nearly breathing in relief when she saw the sand appear in the horizon.

Ana fought through the other nine, trying her hardest to stay calm and find a solution in each one. The final one was always the hardest - finding out her loved ones were Divergent and watching them die. She always forced herself to watch, eyes never straying from the scene for a moment.

She had expected to wake up then, but she was suddenly in a new environment. Well, not new really. She recognized the compound easily, had seen it only a few nights before.

The familiar sound of shoes against stone crashed into her ears and she peaked around the corner of the wall before gasping. Her breath caught in her throat and she felt her heart jump in her chest as she watched Al slam Tris against the wall.