Part 10

Things in Mystic falls had heated up since you last saw it. You had only planned to be in town for Christmas but with Jeremy having to train to kill vampires, Klaus murdering Mrs Lockwood in cold blood, and your brother Stefan brooding and drinking by himself 24/7. You just couldn't make yourself get back on the road again.
You had left mystic falls after all the vampires in the town were outed to the council. Between that and Elena becoming a vampire it just seemed like a sign you should leave. You thought it would make you feel better to go back to traveling the world like you used to. But you still felt like there was something you were missing.
Over the past few months you kept in touch with Matt, Jeremy, Stefan and even every once in a while Damon. They kept you updated on everything going on back home and there was a lot.
Despite every bad thing you had said about that town it was still home. So when Christmas came around you jumped at the chance to go back, but now you were just sitting at a lake house watching Matt and Jeremy train.
Damon stood out in the dock brooding and listening to all his voicemails from Elena. Damon finally finished brooding and rejoined you and the boys in the yard. He groaned and tossed his phone onto the table you were sitting at. "(Y/n) I just got a text from Stefan. Him, Caroline and Elena need me to come down to the school and help them with something. And I can't be around Elena so you have to go."
"Me? Why do I have to go? I don't want to be around Elena either, you know."
Damon groaned again "You're the one who wants to stay in Mystic Falls to help your big brothers. So why don't you go help."
"Fine I'll go see what they need."
The school was empty, you checked ten maybe twenty classrooms and no Stefan and Elena. You headed over to the library to check there. Lucky for you, you had found them.
Caroline, Stefan, and Elena all set around a small table. "(Y/n) what are you doing here? You need to leave now." Stefan said.
"What? No I just drove all the way out here to help you guys. Damon says he's busy and couldn't help you."
"What a shame I was looking forward to having him join us today." You turned around at the sound of the familiar voice. Sure enough Rebekah Mikaelson was standing right behind you. "Why don't you take a seat with the others."
You couldn't stop yourself as you took the empty chair at the table. Rebekah must have compelled you and the others to stay here.
"You are wasting your time. We don't know anything."
"So what you all just gave up? I thought you said you would do anything for Elena, Stefan. Even if it meant taking the cure yourself, just so you could grow old together."
Elena and Stefan went silent and only looked at the ground. You guess Rebekah hasn't gotten the memo about the two of them breaking things off.
"Am I missing something here?"
"They broke up." You said bluntly. You didn't have time for their hard feelings for each other. You just wanted to leave. "Now let us go."
"I thought Elena was your epic love Stefan? What happened?"
"She slept with Damon." This you didn't know. When you got back into town a few weeks ago no one was jumping in line to tell you all the details as to why Stefan and Elena broke up and you hadn't really cared enough to ask. But now you were curious.
"So vampire Elena is a trollop who likes bad boys. But that still doesn't explain why sweet, innocent Elena would be so heartless to Stefan?" She was right, you never liked Elena but you never thought she would just turn around and sleep with Damon like that. She would have known what that would do to them.
"She didn't know it at the time, but she's sired to Damon." No wonder Damon didn't want to come.
"Ooh a sire bond, fascinating." Rebekah took the seat next to Elena. "Tell me what do you think Elena?"
"I think you're bored and in desperate need of a hobby."
"You're hiding something fess up."
"I didn't sleep with Damon because of the sire bond. I slept with him because I love him." You saw how devastated Stefan looked by Elena's words. You only wished you guys could get out of here so you didn't have to sit through any of this anymore.
Rebekah stood up straight and turned around to Stefan. "Did that hurt? Having someone you love stab you in the heart."
Still unable to lie Stefan answers truthfully. "Yes"
"Welcome to the last 900 years of my life." You begin to remember all those times Kol talked about how he hated being stabbed in the back over and over again by Klaus. You could see now he wasn't the only one.
Caroline finally spoke up and interjected. "What does any of this have to do with finding the cure?"
"You're right we got off point." Rebekah turned to face Stefan now. "How do I find the cure? Unless you'd rather talk about Elena and Damon all day."
"There's a professor at Whitmore. He knows where it is."
You know Stefan had no choice but to tell her the truth but it felt like a big loss to have her go after the professor. You didn't want a cure like the others did. At least not right now. But you still wanted them to find it over Rebekah.