Chapter 1

Dimitri sat in the driver seat of the large SUV with Rose in the passenger seat. Lissa sat in the back seat with Christian. They were coming back from the visiting day at St. Vladimirs Academy. Lissa whispered things in Christian's ear. Dimitri kept his eyes on the road while always watching the SUV behind them, it was a guardian skill. Rose leaned her head on the window when the very familiar feeling of nausea flooded her senses. She sat up so fast that it might have been better than Dimitri's standards.

"Strigoi!" Rose shouted. Her hand was holding her stake already. Dimitri gave Rose a quick glance then pulled over. Lissa looked up. Dimitri and Rose launched out of the car along with the guardian's behind them.

"Stay here." Rose said quickly to Lissa and Christian. It was around midnight so it was plenty dark for strigoi.

"There's a lot of them ou-" Rose was cut off by a scream from a guardian whose name she never learned. Everyone sprang into action. For every guardian that fell a strigoi would another would appear from the shadows. Soon there were hardly any guardians left.

"I'm calling out the spirits!" Rose shouted above the noise.

"You know that's not a good idea!" Dimitri called back. He knew her calling upon the ghosts was a bad idea and left her weak.

"It's a better idea than getting turned Strigoi!" Rose called. She then let down her mental barriers. Soon spirits appeared everywhere. But only to Roses eyes. Soon the strigoi seemed to be fending off imaginary things. A headache began to pound into rose. But she continued to fight. Dimitri shot her a glance knowing she has tiring.

Soon all of the Strigoi lied on the ground. Then the spirits turned towards Rose. They all headed for her. Rose tried to ignore them and walk back to the car. She attempted to put up her barriers. But they were gone.

Dimitri could see Rose struggling against something. The other Guardians were focused on their own vehicles. Rose opened up her door but stoped when Queen Tatianas spirit blocked her path. She wore the night gown she had been killed in.

Rose's vision began to get clouded with black spots. Things started to spin.

"Dimitri..." Rose called as everything went black. Dimitri ran to her. She was laying on the ground, her skin white.

"Roza!" Dimitri exclaimed. He picked her up and placed her in the passenger seat.

"What's wrong!?" Lissa asked from the backseat.

"She collapsed from all those spirits!" Dimitri answered. Once he had secured her in her seat he ran to his side. He didn't bother with his seatbelt. He wouldn't be able to get rose help f they died in a car crash. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Lissa reach for her hand. Attempting to heal her no doubt. After 10 minutes of Rose not waking up she sat back in her seat done trying. They were about 20 minutes out from the special entrance to court that kept Lissa away from the crowds.

Dimitri picked up his phone to make a call to the front gate to have a doctor there waiting for them. When they got to the gate 2 doctors were there with a gurney. Dimitri parked the car in the garage. Lissa jumped out with Christian right behind her. She ran to the other side of the car where Dimitri was already getting Rose out of the car and putting her on the Gurney. The doctors ran off with Rose towards Court. The Guardians who had been in the other cars walked up to Dimitri to get an explanation. Dimitri explained things in short then was dragged off by Lissa who wanted to go help Rose.

When they got to the infirmary they were directed to where Rose's room was. She lay asleep on a bed, tubes in her arms and a monitor beeping in the background. Lissa dashed to her side and held her hand. A doctor walked in at that point.

"What's wrong with her?" Dimitri asked. He had been scared when Rose had nearly gone insane from spirits darkness, but now... there wasn't a word in any language that could describe how terrified he was for Rose.

The doctor looked down and sighed. She was a moroi who seemed to be somewhat old. But that wasn't what hit Dimtri. It was she said.

"Guardian Hathaway is in a coma."