Chapter 2

"Welcome, Lord Hokage." The Kazekage welcomed Minato warmly as he entered his office. "It's good to see that you all got here safely."

"Thank you, Lord Kazekage. It was a good journey." Minato shook hands with the Kazekage as he spoke. "And thank you for hosting all of us as well." He motioned for Naruto to step forward next to him. "This is my son Naruto. I felt bad just always leaving him behind, so I decided to bring him with me this time."

The Kazekage smiled as he looked at the little blonde haired boy before calling to one of his own ANBU. He whispered something to the ANBU before he ran off. "I think that young Naruto here will get along well with my own son. They seem to be the same age." Just as he finished speaking, the ANBU returned with a young red-haired boy with light teal eyes, and he was holding a small teddy bear in his arms. "His name is Gaara."

Minato and Naruto both turned to look at the young boy. "Hi! I'm Naruto! It's good to meet you, ya know!" Naruto had a huge smile on his face.

"It's good to meet you Gaara." Minato knelt down so that he was closer to Gaara's height.

Gaara seemed to be shy at all of the attention, and spoke quietly. "I-It's nice to meet you too, Lord Hokage." As he turned to Naruto, he had a small smile on his face. "And you too, Naruto."

The Kazekage walked over to Gaara, kneeling down to talk to him and Naruto. "We'll probably be a while with our business, so you guys are more than welcome to go and play until we're done." He then looked over to Minato. "That is of course, if Minato is okay with it."

Naruto turned to his dad as fast as he could, excited at the chance to finally play with someone his own age. "Can I please, dad?!"

Minato just smiled as he looked at Naruto. There was no way he would be able to say no. "Yeah, of course. Just not too far okay."

"Okay!" Naruto followed Gaara as they both ran off. Barely sparing a glance back to wave goodbye to their dads. When they made it outside, Naruto finally spoke up. "So what do you want to do, Gaara?!" He didn't know what kinds of things they did in the Sand Village, and he wanted to learn everything that he could.

"I don't know. I've never really played with anyone before." Gaara looked down at the teddy bear he was holding. "No one wants to play with me."

"Really?" Naruto stared in shock at Gaara. He remembered how all the kids in his village didn't want to play with him either. "That's what it's like for me too. I'm almost always alone. But we can be friends right? I'll always play with you, ya know!"

Gaara's face brightened when he heard Naruto. "I'd like that a lot!" Gaara showed Naruto to an open area where he would play with his siblings. "Sorry there is only sand; there isn't much to do around here."

Naruto just smiled. "That's totally fine! I think it's really cool! This is the first time I've ever been out of my own village." He laid down on the sand as he turned towards Gaara. "Do you know how to make anything with the sand?" When he finished asking, Naruto noticed a playful look in Gaara's eyes.

"Yeah I do!" As Gaara lifted his hands, sand started swirling all around them, and when he moved his hands again, the sand came together, forming the shape of two young boys playing.

"Woah! Is that us?"

"Yeah!"

Naruto couldn't believe his eyes. "That's so cool! I wish I could do stuff like that." Naruto started making his own shapes in the warm sand. "I can't really do that much." Looking back up, he saw that Gaara was sitting on a rock, and his eyes were wet. "Hey, what's wrong? Did I say something?" Worried that he had done something, Naruto ran over to Gaara to apologize.