Chapter 5

Naruto was sitting on top of the Great Stone Face of his dad looking out over the village when he heard his name being called. "Naruto! Get back here!" Iruka was yelling at him, angry that he was skipping class again.

"What are you going to do, tattle on me?!" It's not like they can do anything else to me. I'm already confined. Naruto thought to himself as he remembered when his dad first told him that he couldn't leave the village anymore. He was angry that his dad didn't try harder to fight it, and even stopped really speaking to him. It's been seven years since then. He's been writing letters to Gaara who also ended up not being able to leave, but he hasn't gotten one for a while.

"Naruto, you need to come to class or you'll fail!" Iruka had finally come up and was now standing on the cliff above Naruto looking down at him angrily. "Do you want to fail the exam again?!"

"Who even cares..." I could pass the dumb test if I really wanted to. It's not like I'm stupid.

Iruka just sighed as he jumped down and grabbed Naruto's wrist. "Come on, Naruto." Naruto didn't say anything as he followed Iruka back to the academy. He didn't really care anymore.

Once they got to the class Naruto just slowly made his way to his seat, ignoring the judgmental stares and whispers that were directed at him. "Okay, class, since Naruto skipped out and was late, we are all going to review the clone jutsu."

"Ah, come on, Iruka-sensei!"

"Stupid Naruto!"

"This is all your fault, Naruto!"

The class started complaining and blaming Naruto as they all shuffled into a line at the front of the class. One by one they all performed their jutsu, successfully producing a clone of Iruka. Naruto ignored all the fangirling when Sasuke took his turn. He didn't get them one bit. When it was his turn, he thought about doing it right, but decided he didn't want to, so he produced one that looked like the Third Hokage was melting. Everyone laughed at him while Iruka just looked mad. "Naruto..."

"Whatever..." Naruto just walked back to his seat and looked out the window. He was sick of being stuck in a cage. He just wanted out.

Once the class was over, Naruto was just about to rush out of the class when Iruka stopped him, again... "Naruto, if you fail the exam this time, you'll be dropped from the academy."

"I know." Naruto didn't even spare a glance towards Iruka as he walked out the door.

Stupid...I want to be a ninja, and I wanna be the Hokage like dad...but if they won't even let me leave the village, what's the point... Naruto was stuck in his thoughts as he made his way back home. As he walked through the front door he saw his dad sitting at the table, raising his head to look at him as he walked inside.

"Naruto, you're home, thank goodness." Minato let out a breath of relief as he motioned for Naruto to sit down next to him. "I have something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" Naruto's curiosity peaked as he sat down by his dad. They didn't talk often anymore, so it made him even more intrigued.

"Naruto, your final test is coming up, right? I know you failed before and that this is your last chance. I just wanted to let you know that if you are able to become a genin, you will get to go on missions. They won't be able to keep you in the village anymore."

Staring silently at his dad Naruto just sat there, lost in his own thoughts about what he should do. He wanted to be able to leave the village more than anything. He wanted to see Gaara again and to see the world. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he finally decided to speak, allowing a little bit of positivity into his voice, "I'll think about it, okay? I'm gonna go to bed for now." He was just about to walk up the stairs to his room when his dad yelled back at him one more time.