Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

A week later I arrived in Paris. The sweet aroma from pastry shops filled the streets. Paris was one of my favorite cities. I loved how people painted pictures on the streets. Everything had a different atmosphere here. Not to mention the food was superb.

My target was Amoll Jenkins. He was thirty-nine and a convicted terrorist. A shady French diplomat had heard from a reliable source that Jenkins was targeting him. I was to observe Jenkins patterns, never to engage. If I have anything to report my job is to collect him, not kill him.

It wasn't hard finding him. Amoll Jenkins was a creature of habit. According to his file he spent most of his time in high end casinos and clubs. I picked the busiest club in Paris and found him sitting in a booth. He watched as all sorts of young foolish women danced around scantily clad. Glancing down, I looked at my jeans and tank top. I wasn't exactly fitting the dress code around here.

I sat in waiting, watching for him to make his move. Sipping on my drink, I scanned around. Women my age were just throwing themselves at men. Was everyone this frivolous? Or was I just immune to things people did my age?

The sound of gun fire caused me to jump into action. I looked past the screaming, running club goers. Five men came in, guns blazing. Watching their tactical patterns, I saw how they went after the witnesses first. Planned kill was my gut reaction.

With a quick motion I was able to extend my batons into a bow staff. I jumped into action, fighting off the attackers. While I was busy with three, two of them made their move on Amoll Jenkins. By the time I had put them down, it was too late. He was dead and the others had disappeared.

I searched the bodies of the three dead men on the floor. The only form of identification I had found on them was a single coin. The head of a lion was on the bronze coin. The sound of sirens surrounded the building. I tucked the coin into my pocket before disappearing into the streets.

“Something's gone wrong,” I told Zelene over the phone.

“What's happened?”

“There's another player in town.” I explained. “They took out Jenkins. I took three out but two managed to escape.”

“Hold on, I'll put you on the phone with Alkina.” she says.

When Alkina picked up, I quickly filled her in on the events of the club. “Do you know anything about a bronze lion head coin?” I asked her.

“Vaguely.” Alkina said. “There was once a tail about the rival of the League. That rival associated themselves with the lion. Whereas we prefer the shadows, they thrived in the sunlight. If they are truly involved then we are in danger of exposure.”

“What are my orders?”

“I'm sending Anton to your location now. He will carry further instructions.” Alkina sighed. “Be careful, Natasha. These people are a force to be reckoned with. Lay low until he arrives.” With this said, the line went dead.