Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

There was some sort of magic involved when you watched two people compete in hand to hand combat. It was hypnotic. Their bodies moved in sync to the music playing in the background. It was hard to tell which of the skilled fighters was winning. The two of them were an even match.

Zelene and Alkina were fraternal twins. They didn't look exactly alike, and they certainly didn't think alike. But when you fought them they both moved with the same fluidity and grace. Not to mention they both fought dirty when it came down to it.

“How long have they been at it?” Angel asks crossing his arms over his chest. His hazel eyes not leaving them for a second.

I glanced at my watch. “A little over an hour.”

“What are they trying to prove?” he questions me.

The twins usually only fought each other if they were trying to prove something. They were never partners since they wouldn't be able to accomplish anything whenever they sparred against on another. I was usually paired up with Zelene while Alkina had Angel.

“New job popped up,” I inform him. “They are trying to out do one another to prove that they should get the job.”

“Where is the location of this job?” Angel knew the twins better than anyone. He'd been apart of the League long before I had joined. He knew that Zelene would never jump at the chance for a job unless it was somewhere interesting.

“Another Paris job.”

We watched as the two started throwing cheap shots. As I studied the fight I watched their motions. It wouldn't last much longer. Whereas Alkina spent most of her time training, Zelene did other things such as cook, study, and shop. It was only a matter of time before Alkina had the upper hand of the situation.

After Alkina gave a nasty blow to Zelene's face, Angel stepped forward. “That's enough.”

Alkina turns to him with her hands on her hips. “I was just about to win.”

“Yes, but you were also about to damage your sister,” he counters.

“Please, she's had worse. We all have.” she states. “Besides, I hadn't even had the chance to pull out my weapon yet.”

“You okay?” I asked Zelene as Angel and Alkina began to argue.

She stood up, brushing off her training clothes. “Eh, I'm fine. That was a hell of a punch she got on me though. Few more minutes and she's probably have won.”

“Damn right I would have,” Alkina says.

“Natasha, you were the one assigned to the job,” Angel announces. “It's a easy surveillance job. You'll be in an out in no time. Debriefing is in the morning, till then go help Zelene clean up while I deal with this one.”

I knew that this one meant Alkina. This usually meant that she and Angel were going to go and argue somewhere private. Despite the fact that they are partners, they argue constantly. They were too damn alike for their own good. One day they are just gonna screw out their problems with one another.

Zelene and I made our way to First Aid. She sat down while I cleaned up her face. Her knuckles and nose were all bloody. Her right eye had already started to turn black.

“You knew it was a surveillance job,” I accused her as I wrapped her knuckles.

“Yeah, it would've been an easy job.” she sighed, leaning back into the chair. “No mess to clean up.”

It wasn't hard to see that Zelene's heart wasn't in the League. Most members had been trained to a point where they were excited for a job. A kill was a kill, plain as that. Zelene still had her soul, unlike the rest of us. Every time she went out for a job, it affected her. She jumps at the chance to get a surveillance job.

The thing about being in the League is that you can never leave. The only way to leave is to die. Death is the only release from your commitment. You can't fake your death when it comes to highly trained assassins. If you desert then you will be hunted down and then slaughtered in the most painful way.

“I'm glad you got it though,” Zelene says. “It'll be your first job back since the surgery.”

My last job was three months ago. I was shot in the kneecap. An injury that took longer than I would have liked to heal. This was most likely the reason that I was given such an easy job. This will be the pick-me-up to get me back on my feet.

“Thanks. I'll be sure to bring you back some of that facial cream you like,” I promised her. “Hell I'll even bring Alkina something too.”

Zelene laughed. “She isn't so bad, it's just lately she's been testy. Somethings got her all riled up.”

“Don't you mean someone?” I laugh.

Dating within the League is unacceptable. Whenever you live this lifestyle, your chances of love are slim. The only time “dating” is acceptable is whenever it will help you complete a job. Other than that it's not allowed. Marriage and children are out of the question.

The only married couple in the League is the twins' parents. As heads of the League, they were expected to produce an heir. They just got the two for one deal by chance.

 “Maybe one day we'll all get to be happy.” she sighed.