•zero•

~And when the morning arrived,
We wondered...~

-a.m.pearl

"Okay?"

"Okay."

Sanchi sighed and locked her phone for the nth time in the two days that she had been staring at the two words.
That was the last conversation she had with her acquaintance or a friend, or...

No! She didn't want to go there.

Whatever they were or had become for each other, nothing mattered anymore.

But was it easy as she was trying to make herself believe?

Could everything be forgotten, just like that?

Sanchi spent two days just staring at her phone numbly. She remained indifferent as if nothing had happened, as if nothing could bother her. Although she kept looking at her phone all day, waiting for it to vibrate, or just a little ping, she was disappointed every time she saw it was a notification from a food-delivery app.

"You and pizza 2917"

<read 2917 in Hindi>

And that was not all. Apparently, all the advertising heads of such companies had decided to torture everyone out there with their cheesy and albeit cringey food puns that somehow were supposed to appeal everyone out there.

However, all they did for Sanchi was to make her throw her phone away. Of course, she couldn't do that though.

The plight of being born in a middle-class family! With strict parents, might I add.

By night when she noticed that there was still no notification of an incoming text, although she tried to play it cool, she was a little disappointed.

She aimlessly scrolled through random apps as she stuffed her mouth with Alphonso Mango icecream her mother had brought home that night. Dressed in an oversized hooded sweatshirt in her favorite shade of blue with warm pyjamas, she cuddled inside her blanket as she tried to ward off the cold weather that still sent shivers down her spine.

An hour became two, and then three.

And that's when her heart began sinking a little.

Turning off the lights, she rested her head on the pillow while snatching some more share of the blanket from her sister asleep next to her. Laying on her back, she rested her phone on her chest (which was an uncomfortable spot!), holding onto it with her right hand while her left hand went on to caress her sister's hair. Just another weird quirk of hers.

Staring blankly at her phone in the dark for some time, she finally turned on her side and locked her phone. She closed her eyes, trying to sleep.

However, she couldn't. One by one, she began reminiscing all their texts in her mind. Albeit she had never met the man in person, she had come to know enough of him in the past six months of them being online texting buddies (atleast that's what they called themselves!).

She didn't know but soon she felt her throat clog up as if there was something stuck in it. She tried to clear her throat, not loudly in fear that she would wake someone up, but she felt herself tremble as the next second, two fat drops of tears slipped out of the corner of her eyes.

She tried to wipe them off, tried attributing them to be one of her weird moments.

However, who was she kidding?

She could lie to the whole world but not herself. No one would know her better than herself.

And in that moment, she promised herself.

Promised herself that it was the last time that she got her heart broken.

•••••

I had the idea of this story stuck in my mind since long, owing to the online dating trend that's rampant these days.

Tried my hand at something different.

Your comments, votes and opinions mean the world to me. Do, please help out and tell me what you think about it.

Already apologising for the slow (very slow!) updates. Hope the story will still keep you hooked.

Until next time,