Chapter 8: An Uncertain Future

"Freya Eaton"
My name is called and I quietly walk up to the front of the room, trying to draw any attention to myself.

"Second door to the right," A Candor woman instructs me, giving me a look. She must know that I am the daughter of Marcus Eaton, which is funny considering I never do anything to make my face known. I push the door open and see a Dauntless woman with long black hair, almond eyes, and tattoos all over.

"Hello, my name is Tori. I'll be giving you your aptitude test. Just sit down and relax."

I don't even say anything as I ease into the seat, trying to relax as much as possible. Tori looks ready to go home. But home to what? As I'm wondering wha the dauntless compound is like on the inside, I hear Tori speak again, but I missed what she said. "Sorry?" I ask for clarification. She rolls her eyes. "I asked if Tobias Eaton was your brother. Well there weren't any other Eaton's in the city. "Y-yes, he is." She smirks and looks me over. What is that supposed to mean? I wonder, as I worry about this aptitude test.

Tori hands me a clear liquid in a tiny glass vial. "Drink it, and the simulation will begin." Feeling a bit foolish, but obeying any way, I felt my eyelids close.

The strangest sensation had occurred. I knew that I had gone into some place of subconsciousness, but I was standing in an empty space. White all around me. I turned and saw a table, and on it rested a mound of cheese and a knife.
"Choose," I heard a voice say. What? Both could be useful, but what would I need them for. I tell myself not to worry, because I can't shake the feeling that I can control what's going on in this dimension. I quickly snatch up both the cheese and the knife, feeling rebellious. Relaxing a bit, I see a little girl with brown hair and hazel eyes, in a little gray Abnegation dress. I then realize, with horror, that that little girl is me, playing with a puppy. How am I seeing myself younger? And what do I need to do? My question is answered when the puppy transforms into a huge, fierce German Shepherd. I watch the younger version of myself get up and run with horror, fragile feet pounding the floor, desperately trying to escape. "Hey!" I try to "my" attention. The girl turns to me, catching the cheese I throw at her. Arming myself with the knife, we both walk exactly in sync towards the dog, who immediately submits, rolling onto the floor. We both laugh , at the exact same time again, and a fog breaks into my sanity. The next thing I know, I'm on a crowded city bus. A candor man comes up to me, displaying a photograph of a man, who I felt that I had seen before. "Have you seen this man?" The Candor asks me. "Yes," I begin, starting with the truth, "but he killed himself." That was a lie, but I couldn't stand to watch someone be captured at my hands, even if it meant having to lie. My world goes black and I wake up, gasping in the chair. Tori looks panicked, and I hear her muttering things along the lines of,"just like him" and "not another one." I naturally don't ask her anything, a characteristic ingrained from years of abuse. She grabs me as gently as she can in her state of mind and says, "From prior experience, I've learned I should tell people like you things like this. The results were inconclusive."
Dumbfounded, I speak up, "What does that mean?"
"They test didn't work on you," she begins,"You somehow got the results of all five factions."