Vishwamitra: Part 3 - Trishanku

The journey back to his kingdom was torturous for king Vishwamitra. He had unnecessarily embraced enmity with Brahmarshi Vasishta. Anger burned his heart every time he reminisced about the humiliating defeat he had suffered. Exhaling deep breaths of anguish, he finally reached his palace, exhausted. But his mind was clear on the path he would pursue.

He was done with his Kshatriya life. Forsaking the pleasures of kingship and excitement of a warrior-life, Vishwamitra and his head-queen reached a dense forest down-South. They started performing arduous Tapas, subsisting only on fruits and roots. Four virtuous sons – Havishyanda, Madhushyanada, Dhrdhanetra and Maharatha – were born to them in due course.

Over time, his anger and ill-will towards Vasishta diminished but did not fully disappear. A thousand years had thus passed when Lord Brahma appeared before him along with his retinue of celestials.

"You shall be known as Rajarshi (King-Sage), Kaushika", the Creator blessed him before disappearing, "You are worthy of the hallowed abode of King-Sages when the time comes."

Vishwamitra till then thought his intense Tapas was worthy enough to gain Brahman-hood. His head now bent down in shame. The path to the title Brahmarshi would not be easy. Rajarshi meant he had been recognized as one of the greatest king-sages, which meant he was yet to be recognized as a Brahman.

Disappointment strengthened his resolve and intensified his Tapas further.

***

Around that time, Kosala kingdom was being ruled by Trishanku (seventh in Ikshvaku's lineage). Virtuous, valiant, loved by his people, it was said that he never uttered a lie. He had nurtured one wish throughout his illustrious reign – that of attaining heaven in his human body, alive.

Trishanku approached Vasishta, the family head-priest of the kings of Ikshvaku dynasty. The Brahmarshi turned him down right away. Though he was well capable of sending Trishanku to the abode of celestials in his human form, the sage did not wish to set a bad example by breaking the norm. Humans were supposed to attain heaven after death, after giving up their earthly body. The king's repeated attempt to convince the sage turned out to be an exercise in futility.

The king was not willing to give up his life-time ambition. He decided to travel down-South and approach Vasishta's sons. There were a hundred of them, residing together in a hermitage performing Tapas, each as capable as their father.

His eyes scanned the ground in shame since he was about to ask them for something that had been refused by their father. But he was determined to speak the truth.

"I surrender to you to fulfil my wish, O Illustrious sons of my Guru," he bowed down with palms joined in reverence, "I intend to perform a rare Yajna that will elevate me to the heavens and let me reside amidst celestials in my human body. I request you to conduct the fire sacrifice and help me fulfil my objective. I have already approached my Guru, your father, but he sent me away. For the kings of Ikshvaku lineage, Vasishta and his family are the only recourse for all matters of spirituality. Since he refused, I don't have anyone other than you to seek refuge in."

"When the tree has denied shelter, Trishanku," Vasishta's sons were annoyed but counselled him patiently, "How do you presume its branches would support you? He is our revered Guru too. When he has refused to help you, what made you think we would go against his will?"

"But I have done many good deeds during my life time," the king persisted, "I cannot understand why my Guru or his sons would not want to help me."

"Stop being childish, O king," they admonished him, "Go back to Ayodhya and lead the rest of your life as humans should, performing good deeds that will benefit you in your after-life. Our father is capable of performing fire sacrifices to achieve any objective. But he has a deep sense of propriety. We shall not bring disrepute to him by indulging in something he deemed to be incorrect."