Chapter 8

Giselle 

'I silently trudged behind Sebastian as I followed his large figure, drawing out conclusions and theories in my explosive brain. I could sniff his enigmatic nature even from a mile away; and oddly enough, I felt far more intrigued by him. I always loved a good mystery, a fascinating puzzle to be pieced together. And I intend to be the one to crack someone as ominous and astray as Sebastian.

My eyes were glued to his back, examining the slight muscle movements invoked as he walked, as if all my queries would be solved if I stared at them long enough. My eyes never once deviated from their path; and I know how it may seem that I'm crazy about this, about him, but it's not like I'm attracted to him or something. Because I wasn't. I am perfectly content with Brandon and I have grown too attached to him and our relationship. Why would I even pine for someone else? Crazy, that's what it is.

I was knee-deep in my trance that I hadn't even realised we stopped until I found myself face smacked against his hard, muscular back. Embarrassed, I sprang back instantly as my eyes widened in horror at the man before me, anxious to know what he would do. He remained still for a moment before turning his head sideways to eye me from the corner of his eyes, adamant to not meet mine.

'Clumsy, are you, Giselle?' He spat every word out with disdain and disapproval, and hearing him coat my name in such negativity did sting for a teeny tiny bit. I mean, I don't know him personally and frankly, I don't care what he thinks. But it still kinda hurts hearing someone say your name that way. It does rub you the wrong way.

He then proceeded to turn his head towards me until he could look me square in my eyes. I was beginning to really dislike that. As if his usual stance wasn't scary enough. The same gorgeous green eyes that looked so appealing and gentle were now deadly, shooting daggers at me.

'As I was saying, here is the library. I'm sure if you were paying attention you would have caught that.' he cautioned, stern and adamant. My eyes fell to the favour of the galaxies of marble underneath us, and I numbly nodded as I bit my cheek internally. A heads up on my grumpy and stubborn new boss would have been nice. Now I'm going to be stuck next to him for god knows how long, and I do not want to prolong my presence in their household, or with any of them, for longer than necessary.

Maybe the best thing to do was to simply just be the bigger person and play nice. As long as I remain on their good side, everything should be okay, right?

As we continued with our tour forward, I unzipped my lips and began to spew anything and everything out into the air. 'You have a lovely home, Mr Van Hansen. It's an honour to be given this job and this opportunity.' I pipped up with every bit of enthusiasm and gratefulness in my voice, hoping he could sense the sincerity ladened in my words.

No response.

I drew in another breath as I conjured up something else to fill the gaping silence that we found ourselves entangled in.

'So, am I going to be working in the office with you? Or am I going to work from home? In the manor, I mean. Cause you and your father would be running from business meetings to business lunches and the sort, and I assume there's much more work to be done around here too so I'm not sure-'

'You are quite the chatterbox, Ms Williams.' He boomed, something in his voice that I could not put my finger on. 'I wonder, do you speak this much all the time?'

I pursed my lips in an attempt to stop myself from saying anything I shouldn't. And even if I did have something to say, it's unlikely that I would tell him that to his face. I pretty much lack any confidence to ever tell anyone how I feel right smack to their faces. And even though I managed to do so at times, it's pretty much short-lived.