22

You ended up spending most of the day at the beach under that umbrella. The sun was bright, the sand was warm, and you were in good company - it was a perfect day.

Well, it was a perfect day until you got sunburned and everyone was feeling exhausted from the constant exposure to the sun.

You headed back to the resort to change for dinner, stripping out of your beachwear and taking a quick shower to rinse all the sand off before getting into something for dinner. When you finished, you plopped down on one of the couches in the common area, patting your damp hair dry.

Noah and Alex were already ready to go, and had been waiting for you and Karl by playing cards on the coffee table. Alex looked up when you plopped down. "Hey."

"Hey." You said. "What are you guys playing?"

"Poker." Noah said. "Do you want him to deal you in?"

"That's alright, Karl should be out soon, right?" You said.

"Hopefully." Alex said, laying out another hand of cards for him and Noah. "I'm starving, and that one place we passed coming back in looked really good."

"I don't think I've ever had real Mexican food before." Noah said, sorting through her cards.

"You'll love it." Alex said.

The door to Karl's room opened and a billow of steam came out, followed by Karl, who was still buttoning up his shirt. He looked good - a teal green button down that made his eyes look more green than brown, and neat jeans.

"Ready?" He asked, his eyes falling on the couch where you were sat.

You got up, brushing yourself off. "Yup."

Alex and Noah got up as well, leaving their cards on the table. As you made your way out of the room and into the main part of the resort, you smiled. It was nice to see everyone all dressed for dinner - Noah in her black skater dress, Alex in a navy button down rolled at the sleeves, and of course Karl.

Even normally it was hard to keep your eyes off him.

The restaurant you ended up going to was an authentic Mexican grill, and you were sat at a secluded table on a balcony, overlooking the beach where you had sent the day.

Alex cracked open a menu. "All of this looks so good... I don't know what I want..."

Karl picked up a menu as well, scanning over the options. "Alex do you want to order for the table? 'Cause I don't think any of us can really read Spanish."

"I mean, if you guys are alright with that." Alex said, glancing between you and Noah.

"Sounds fine to me." You said.

Noah leaned a little closer to Alex to see his menu, pointing to something. "What's this?"

As Alex launched into an explanation, you felt Karl rest a hand on your thigh, running a hand over the skin gently. Goosebumps worked their way up your leg, but you smiled, turning to him.

"Hi." He said.

"Hi." You repeated.

"I didn't make everyone wait too long in the room, did I?" Karl asked. He sounded genuinely regretful, like if he had made anyone wait too long it would have been the worst thing in the world.

"I don't think so." You said. "I had only just sat down."

"Good." Karl said, relieved. "I didn't want to make everyone wait for dinner, but I'm really tired from the beach."

"It was really fun." You said. "I feel like I'm going to have a great tan from just today."

Karl grinned. "Every time I go to a beach, I have a really good time, but then when I'm trying to get sand out of my ass crack I remember how much I hate sand."

You giggled, taking the hand that was resting on your thigh and interlacing his fingers with yours, squeezing. "This is already the best trip I've ever been on, I can't thank you enough."

"You really don't have to thank me." Karl said, playfully exasperated.

You leaned your head on his shoulder, blinking up at him. "I really want to though."

Karl sucked in a heavy breath, something in his eyes changing as he looked down on you. Goosebumps shivered their way up your arms, tingling with tense energy. Karl's eyes dipped down to your collarbone before darting up to your lips.

You licked your lips tentatively.

"Whoah whoah whoah-!"

"Alex!" Noah said, shoving him playfully. "It was just getting good-"

"PG-13 please!" Alex said. "There are other people at the table!"

You sat up, squeezing Karl's hand again as his face slowly turned pink.

Noah huffed, disappointed. "You're such a child. And you look like one too. You're what, five eight?"

Alex gasped, looking at Noah. "I'm shocked. How could you say such a thing- a mans height is very important-"

Noah however, wasn't paying attention, and instead winked at you before running a hand over Alex's shoulders and leaning to whisper something in his ear.

A few seconds later, Alex turned bright red, laughing nervously.

You giggled and Karl burst out laughing, any embarrassment he had been feeling flying out the window. You had seen Noah do this before, but it never failed to be absolutely hilarious.

The moment was broken when the waitress arrived and Alex placed the order for the table, exchanging Spanish with the girl. As they spoke you leaned back in to Karl.

"Really though." You said. "I do have to thank you."

"I'm just glad that you're here." He said.

The waitress disappeared back to the kitchens and Alex went over what he had ordered, which was really a little of everything so that there would be options and you wouldn't be missing out on any cuisine. When the plates arrived, the food was steaming, and Alex explained each dish. It was all delicious, flavorful and rich - and not too spicy, which you had been worried about. The conversation flowed easily as the sun set, and you leaned into the moment, not wanting to be anywhere else.