7

You stepped out from the air conditioned mall and into the warm sunlight of a May afternoon, squinting against the glare. The parking lot was still mostly full, but it was beginning of drain of people as the last of the mall's patrons and employees began to wander back home. 

You loitered at the curb for a moment, until Noah pulled into sight, stopping at the curb so that you could hop into the passenger side.

"Hey." You greeted, tossing your bag into the back and clicking your seatbelt on. 

"Hey." Noah returned, pulling away from the mall and out of the parking lot, joining the busy road of all the other slightly-above-minimum-wage mall employees heading home for the day. "Anything interesting happen today?"

You sighed. "No."

"No candle boy?" Noah asked, shooting a glance over at you.

"Nope." You said morosely again. "I was really hoping he would come back today too..."

"He'll come back." Noah said confidently. "I mean, from what you told me, he was obviously at least a little into you, and that's good incentive in my book."

You hoped she was right. If he never came back, you would be kicking yourself for not giving him your number for months. Still, there were other things to worry about in the moment - you'd had something you wanted to ask Noah. 

"Speaking of your book," You said. "If he does come back... what should I do?"

"What do you mean, what should you do?" Noah asked, confused for a moment. "Oh- you want advice?"

"Yeah." You said. "I mean, you seem kind of like you know what you're doing. You flirt with people all the time-"

"That's different. That's because I'm bored, not because I'm into them." Noah said. "But I'll try my best."

You sat quietly while Noah pondered for a moment, humming along to the song playing. When she slowed down at the light, she began to speak again. 

"I think you should just go for it next time." Noah said. "He's already flirted back, so next time he shows up, be a little bit bold, you know? Be like 'so what's your name?' and tell him his hair looks really soft or something, I don't know."

"Sounds nerve wracking." You said. "Is that what you usually do?"

"More or less." Noah said. 

"Couldn't be me." You said. Being that forward with that many strangers? No way. Not even if it was just for a joke.

 "If you don't say something, you're never going to get to talk to this guy." Noah pointed out. "You were going to write your number on the receipt last time, just do that."

"But what if he's looking at me while I'm writing!" You said. "I can't just blatantly-"

Noah interrupted you. "Look. As someone who's flirted with both guys and girls, take it from me that you have to be a little more forward with guys. If you were trying to flirt with a cute girl, you'd be doing great. Girls get subtlety and all that. But guys... I hate to say it, but they're a little stupid."

You laughed. "You're so mean."

"It's not mean if it's the truth!" Noah said. She paused. "Have you tried looking for him online? Do a little stalking?"

"I don't even have his name." You said. 

"He has to live in the area, right?" Noah said. "And from that picture I saw, he looks around our age, someone that we know has to follow him already."

"That's true." You said. "Maybe I'll do some snooping when I get home."

Noah drove in pensive silence for a moment before speaking again. "You really shouldn't be so nervous." She said. "Anyone would be lucky to have you."

You smiled, knocking Noah's shoulder playfully. "You and all your sappy bullshit."

She laughed and turned into the parking lot in front of your apartment building, slowing to a stop next to the curb so that you could get out. You reached into the backseat to grab your bag and popped open the door, unbuckling your seatbelt. 

"Thanks for the ride." You said. 

"Of course." Noah said. "Hey, I might be a little early to pick you up tomorrow, 'cause I wanna get donuts."

"Cool." You said, getting out and closing the door. "See you tomorrow!" You waved as Noah drove off before heading into your building. Your apartment was on the third floor, and you headed up the stairs, ignoring the stench of cigarettes coming from your downstairs neighbors. Unlocking the door to your own apartment, you stepped inside and flicked on the lights. 

You dropped your bag on the floor and made a beeline straight for the couch and flopping, stretching out gratefully. You had been standing most of the day, and it felt good to just lay down for a second. 

You reached into your pocket and pulled out your phone, opening Instagram. Noah had had a point... someone that you knew was bound to follow him. After all, people didn't just spawn out of nowhere. 

You started by scrolling through your own followers, picking out boys from highschool and now college and taking a quick peek at who they were following. There were a few close calls, but none of the profile pictures were who you were looking for. 

It seemed strange that no one you knew was following this mystery candle boy. Maybe he was older or younger than he seemed. That would be so disappointing - you could deal with older, but younger? That would make him a child! Absolutely not.

You gave up the search with a sigh, tossing your phone aside. It would be much easier if you had his name, but alas, you had been too nervous to do anything. 

If he came back, you would force yourself to take Noah's advice. Even if you were nervous and didn't want to. 

It would be better that you tried and failed than did nothing at all. You didn't want another few weeks like this - sighing and just mindlessly going about your day, waiting for him to come back. Was it a little bit pathetic, seeing as you had only met him twice? Yes.

Was it a little bit impressive that he had made such an impact that this was the result? 

Also yes.