Cheery Blossoms

Cherry Blossoms 

“Huff…. Huff… Sorry I’m late!” Ren Sakura came running into the gym full tilt. She was still wearing her school uniform and her hair was slightly messed up from running to the gym. Everyone in the gym turned their heads at the abrupt entrance of the small third year. 

“Wow, Sakura-senpai. Showing up late on the first day.” A girl with dark hair and pale skin stated at Ren. 

Goddammit, Haruko can't you just give me a break, Ren thought. “Now now, no need to stress over it, I'm here now,” She smiled at the girl disregarding what she had said. 

“Did something happen Ren? It’s not like you to be late.” A tall girl with long dark hair and tan skin asked. 

“Ah yea, the teacher asked to see me after class. I couldn’t get out of it.” She said now in the gym looking at all the new faces. 

“Wow, Kura was late on the first day!” Makki said from across the gym. Ren glanced over to see where the boys were then turned away shooting Makki a glare at his comment. 

“Anyways, let me introduce myself. My name is Ren Sakura. I'll be your captain this year. I’m the official setter for our team.” Ren said. The girl with long dark hair and tan skin came to stand beside Ren. “This is Chiharu Fujimori, she’ll be your vice-captain. She’s the ace. We’re the two-third years on the team.” 

The girls stared at the small third year who was going to be their captain. 

“Hey Chiharu, can you like talk to them while I go change? Maybe like tell them our line up or something.” Ren said to Chiharu as the girls talked to each other. 

“Yeah sure. I can do that.” The girl responded. 

“Okay! Let’s get this started alright!” Ren said her voice echoing throughout the gym. The girls stopped what they were doing and looked at their captain. “ I want to get an idea of each of your skill levels and playing styles so we should have a mini-match,” Ren said, looking around to see the new players. “Let’s see… we have… five new players?” Ren said scanning the players. 

The girls nodded in agreement at her comment. 

“Okay, that works. Are you all first years?” She asked. 

“That’s right.” A tall girl with red hair said. 

“Okay! So what are your names and positions?” Ren asked. 

The tall girl with Red hair stepped up. “My name is Saaya Okita. I'm a wing spiker.” She said. 

“Wow you're really tall! What’s your height?” Chiharu asked. 

“Oh im 5’8*(*172cm)” Saaya said. 

“Wow,” Ren said. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, Okita-Chan,” Ren said smiling warmly. 

Another girl came up, “My name is Chika Uehara. I'm a middle blocker.” She had short brown hair and stood a fair bit taller than Ren. 

“Right. Thank you Uehara-chan.” Ren said to the girl. 

The next girl that stood up was also taller than Ren. She had dark purple hair and brown eyes. Her dark hair was pulled into a braid and she had a small smile on her face. “I’m Megumi Mae, middle blocker.” She said. 

Ren smiled warmly and the next girl stood up. 

She had her hair in two braids and it was a light brown. “ Kaede Hattori, wing spiker.” 

Ren nodded her head letting her know she had heard her. 

The last girl then stepped forwards. She had dark skin and her hair was tied into a ponytail. It was long pink braids. “Kaya Asuno, I’m a setter.” She said. 

“Alright. It’s very nice to meet you all.” Ren said. She then went on to explain how the match would work and who would be playing with who. Ren would be the setter for one team and Kaya for the other. 

The game had been going on for a while and Ren’s team was in the lead by four points. Interesting, Hattori’s blocks are a bit weak. Ren though. She then jumped up to set the ball but switched and slammed the ball down in a spike aiming for Kaede Hattori’s block. Sure enough, it slammed through and hit the ground. Hm, I was right. Ren thought. 

“You might want to put your arm facing down a bit more. It’ll help your blocks.” Ren said to the girl. 

“Ah, I’ll try that,” Kaede said. Ren smiled and gave a simple nod to the girl. 

“Alright! That practice! Thank you everyone for your hard work. Morning practice is at seven fifteen.” Chiharu said. The sky was now a pretty amber as the sunset. The girls began to clean up and change out of their clothes for practice. Then they all had left leaving Ren there alone.

She glanced around looking at the boy’s team who was still practicing. Well, this gives me time to practice alone, Ren thought. She practiced her usual routine. Consisting of setts and serves. 

A bit of time had passed since Ren had started practicing. She looked up to see the time, “Oh jeez it’s late.” She said then began to clean up. The rest of the boy’s team had left leaving Ren and Oikawa there alone. “Hey, Oikawa-san! Do you know where the mops are?” She asked the tall setter. 

“Oh they’re in the closet,” Oikawa said to her. 

“Okay, thanks.” She said walking over to get one. He nodded and she began to clean up, then went to go change back into her uniform. She walked out of the change room to see Oikawa doing serve after serve. He’s still at it? He really should go home. Ren thought.

“You going to head home soon?” Ren asked him. 

“Soon.” He replied. 

Ren walked over to him then said, “Alright don’t work too hard. I’m going to head home then.” She began to walk out but Oikawa’s voice caused her to turn around. 

“At this hour? You know how late it is right? You shouldn’t walk home alone Sakura-chan.” He said. 

“... I’ll be fine Oikawa-san,” Ren said but she knew he was right. She didn’t exactly look threatening and her house was at least twenty minutes away. 

Oikawa looked at the girl, his face serious. He then walked over to her and said, “ I’ll walk you home. Just give me five minutes, okay?” He smiled then began to clean up. 

Ren sighed then said, “Alright fine.” She walked out of the gym and was wafted with the cold spring air. The stars glistening in the dark night sky. Ren’s long blond hair blew gently in the wind and cherry blossom petals got flown around. She looked up, looking at the pretty pink trees. Cherry blooms huh. Don’t they represent change? They’re also popular with confessions…
If only I had waited to say it ugh.  Ren thought.