CHAPTER 7: Friend

It wasn't obvious at the time, but Melvin was acting strange. (Y/N) continued to keep her distance from him, though subconsciously drifted closer to him as time went on, reliving those days... 

If only it was possible, she thought. 

"Hey, uh... I know you probably won't answer me directly, but... what happened?" Melvin broke the fragile silence with a stifled shiver. "What do you mean?" (Y/N) cocked a brow, falling out of her nostalgic trance. "What happened between us?" He asked ever so softly, husky and dry. This caught (Y/N) off guard, was he begging to know just now? She cleared her throat. "Gee, Sneedly, way to ruin such a great mood." Her facade slowly peeled away. "Why do you care so much anyway?" 

It didn't take long before the next breeze rushed by them when he said, "Because you're my friend." His pace slowed down, (Y/N) a step ahead of him, she didn't respond. "You're my friend, (Y/N). It's all my fault, I know- I know I shouldn't have left you. With your father's passing and your relatives leaving and your friends moving out of town- you must've felt abandoned when I left, too. But I didn't mean to make you feel that way, (Y/N), I... I love y-" 

(Y/N) grabbed him by the red bowtie under his collar, feeling his heartbeat rapidly beat against hers. "You really are nosy, aren't you? You really want to know why I'm repelled by you? You just make me sick, Sneedly, you're like the horrid storm that shakes the leaves off trees, or the pain in my stomach that won't stop aching.  You're nothing but white trash. Your cheap awards don't impress me, and honestly,  I don't think they impress anybody either. Do you think that's enough to leave some sort of memorial in anybody's heart? Why don't you do me a favor and stay out of my life? I'm trying to make myself useful in this world while I still can. I don't have enough time- I'm running out of time, can't you see I'm in a hurry here?" Caught up in the moment, (Y/N) forgot to breathe, her heart felt weak and drool dripped down the side of her cheek- she wiped it right away when she released Melvin from her clenched fist. 

There were fluid highlights under his eyes, tears, he began to sob, "(Y/N), are you sick?"

(Y/N) had just collected herself, though shattered in pieces again, had he figured her out? How will she respond to this? 

"Sick of you." She rolled her eyes. 

"(Y/N)," Melvin raised his voice, startling her. "Are you sick? Why are you in a hurry?" 

"Forget what I said, I'll walk by myself." She continued forward, bumping shoulders with Melvin. A pair of arms stretched around her from behind, her body was once again pressed against his. He held her tight, she tried refusing, though a small frame such as Melvin's somehow kept her in his grasp. "I'm not letting you go, (Y/N)," He cried. "I'll stay with you, I'll stay." 

"You're insane, Sneedly!" She held back the tears when she felt them prick at her sensitive eyes. The jacket she wore soon grew damp of the tears that Melvin produced, she gave up on escaping soon, accepting his proposal. "You're insane..."